Feeling hot hot hot in my 300tdi

Hi all

Just wondering if anybody knows what water and oil temperature a 300tdi should run at?

Mine doesn't say it's overheating on the gauge but I think it's running far too hot

Currently the needle sits in the middle of the gauge but I have no grill ,spotlights or anything in the way of the rad, I also have the electric fan on permanently

My case for concern is that if I go for a long run in her then the oil light comes on when I slow (I think it's getting to hot and therefore to thin to pump) also if you turn the heaters on then it would be possible to boil a cup of tea on the output

So far trying to cool her down I have removed everything from infront of the rad, done a full chemical flush of the water and oil systems and refilled and also a new thermostat

Please help I don't want to cook her again :'(

Thanks Tom

I doubt the oil is getting too thin to pump. I'm pretty sure you could circulate water around the oil system if you wanted. - its a posetive displacment gear type pump which can cope with a lot of different viscosity fluids.

I'm sure I've read a topic on here about oil light coming on a low rev's though... I'll have a look.

Why do you have a reason to doubt your water temperature reading?

Mav

I'd try a new oil pressure switch before anything else. They do seem to fail in a panicky way - I've had 2 do the same thing, and they are a relatively cheap thing to try first. FWIW temp gauge in the middle is good. Worry if it's either cold or hot. People don't usually complain the heater's giving too much heat though I admit. If there IS a lot of heat to water maybe another simple/cheap thing to check is the injection pump timing.

Two things

First the Land Rover temperature gauge. With the needle sitting in the middle, the temperature could be 88deg C OR it could be 95Deg C or 100Deg C. Take your pick.

Oil pressure.

First I would check the oil warning switch. Be aware of how my 300Tdi oil pump failed. First a slight drop in pressure, if I'd been using just the warning light I wouldn't have noticed. Then the loss of oil pressure. The oil pressure dropped to zero on the gauge. It took another 20 miles before the warning light came on.