Looking for Arc/Tig welder at a good price

Had a look on google and the best i can find is a SIP Arc/Tig 200 amp for £450

http://toolstoday.co.uk/shop.php?sec=prod∏=77251&cat=557&load_page=SIP+Green+Weldmate+P208HF+TIG+%2F+ARC+200+%2F+180+Amp+Inverter+Welder+230V+-+05269

Anyone know of a better deal?

I dont want a draper or a china knock off i need something to last!

Might be worth your while having a really good look at this forum - especially with regard to SIP welders.

http://www.mig-weldi...forum/index.php

I'd second the above comment. Low end SiP stuff is in the same camp as Chinese/ebay specials, certainly when it comes to MIG. I would be cautious of their TIG sets based on that.

You're going to be very hard pushed to get an AC tig for that sort of money. DC tig should have a few options. Have you looked at R-Tech?

http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/welding_equipment/Tig_Welder

• 2 weeks later...

On my bucket list I have "successful aluminium welding" It needn't be pretty but must be functional. So an AC tig is on my list. The trouble is, as a back street amateur engineer some tools are intuitive and some aren't - at the moment for me, tig fits into the "aren't"

Stick gas and mig were all picked up fairly well with practice but I'm not sure how I'll fare with tig. Friends who have mastered the technique all say I'll pick it up easy enough but then remain circumspect when discussing tig welders.

So where to start when specifying what are essential features of a tig?

Secondly - is mastering tig going to make me never reach for the mig again for general mild steel use - I can't help but think it looks a bit more of a faff than mig.

It's horses for courses really, TIG gives a nicer looking weld and you have a lot of control .... but it's slow, on steel it's good for doing small pieces as setup time is quick if you are using a foot pedal.

Mig is quick once you have your settings all sorted ...... you wouldn't want to stick a Discovery back together using just TIG but you could happily do it with MIG.

You'll use what suits the job, learn TIG, it's another string to your bow and great for those bits where you need extra control .... it won't however mean you put your MIG up for sale :)