A frame ball joint

I done mine on a car hoist, but left the wheels on the hoist, no jacks, I removed it completely as I replace the A frame bushes at the same time, nothing moved or went out of alignment, just be sensible and all should be ok, I did chock the front wheels, that was the easy bit, now getting the ball assemble out of A frame.!!!!!!!!!!!!_

now getting the ball assemble out of A frame.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get a hacksaw or grinder with thin disc, cut the 'wings' (tabs with the bolt holes in) off the ball joint being careful not to cut into the cast bracket. Place the casting in the vice with the newly exposed faces resting on top of the jaws, attack the top of the ball joint with a large hammer.

Get a hacksaw or grinder with thin disc, cut the 'wings' (tabs with the bolt holes in) off the ball joint being careful not to cut into the cast bracket. Place the casting in the vice with the newly exposed faces resting on top of the jaws, attack the top of the ball joint with a large hammer.

I don't think I could've generated the 25-30 ton needed to budge the one I changed a few weeks back with a sledge hammer, let alone a 5lb lumpy.

I don't think I could've generated the 25-30 ton needed to budge the one I changed a few weeks back with a sledge hammer, let alone a 5lb lumpy.

I've never failed to get one out using a hammer. I'm sure that a repeated shocking action requires less overall force than just gradually building up the pressure in a press.

I've never failed to get one out using a hammer. I'm sure that a repeated shocking action requires less overall force than just gradually building up the pressure in a press.

Mine wouldn't budge with a few well aimed blows, and when you have a 60T press available..... ;)

Took the a frame ball joint off got my mucker to pess it out, we have pressed it back on.... but it did not really sit flush, the base plate will not sit home fully flush with the casting 1mm gap in places. Have moved on and will fit over the weekend, will keep you posted.

Track rod ends next then steering unit I do hope this sorts the wandering steering out ta Harry

• 3 months later...

Sorry to drag this age old topic up from the grave but......

My shiny new parts are here and guess what, some idiot picked an A frame ball joint less fulcrum and packed in my box, so not really got too much time to faff around and my problem is that I only have a 10T press at the mo as swapped my 20T one for a few weeks to help out a mate who was really struggling with the little one and thinking I had welding enough to do would not need it, a lump of metal removed from eye and a rather sore eyeball and strict advice from nursey telling me no welding means other work must proceed....

having read of forces in excess of 30T needed to press them in and out I am wondering if it would shrink enough if bathed in liquid nitrogen for an hour and the fulcrum slapped in the oven on 220C for an hour would it go easier?