Wheel bag for strops and bits

For a long time I have been trying to come up with a solution to the issue of where to put my strops, ropes and bits when off roading or when needing them more often. Currently I store them in a bag in the rear of the Landy but it's not ideal especially when they get dirty or I need to grab them on a slope etc.

I know my way around a sewing machine and have made a few (things, things & things) so making the bag is not an issue, I also have a load of canvas and webbing so again have the required materials to make it.

I know you can get bonnet bags and whilst I did think about making one, I don't think it will be in an ideal location when I go to Norway in February, as I think it will be a bit exposed and could get frozen solid fairly quickly.

The second issue I see is putting everything in a bag on the outside of your car is just asking for someone to walk off with your gear when parked in a town or car park. So ideally it needs to be easily removable but secure when off road.

Browsing the interweb the other day I was Inspired by the MUD rear step which straps onto the spare wheel with a ratchet strap and came up with a plan.....

wheelbag.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I figured I can make a bag that is attached to the spare wheel with a ratchet strap, if I line the bag with hardboard it will be fairly stiff :moglite: and will keep it's shape. The top will just be secured with a Velcro flap on the front, which I have found to be more than strong enough. As it will be fastened by the ratchet strap it will be quickly removable and I can just chuck it in the back so that I can hang onto my stuff.

Before I start to make it I thought I would put it out to the group for comment.

Cheers, Jason.

You could always make/ purchase something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/PacSafe-120-Secure-Backpack-Protector/dp/B000KFTBFU/ref=sr_1_4?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1348089236&sr=1-4 in order to stop people wandering off with your gear, and save having to throw an ice encrusted block into the back everytime you stop anywhere.

I can always use Correx

You might want to look at PVC foam board:

http://www.theplasti...board-c-25.html

Could you make saddle bags?

post-25707-0-77838000-1348091525_thumb.jpg

This would put the weight closer to where the wheel is attached. (Lets face the hinges on the back door have to do a lot of work!)

It would also allow you to put a simple belt around the tyre and use an over centre clamp to hold it in place...

http://www.protex.co...ow/name/38-5880

It also helps if you go on a ferry, the vehicle isn't any longer.

If you can get a copy of SolidWorks you can use the sheet metal function to come up with a net for the fabric!

Just a few ideas.

Cheers,

Mike

You could always make/ purchase something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/PacSafe-120-Secure-Backpack-Protector/dp/B000KFTBFU/ref=sr_1_4?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1348089236&sr=1-4 in order to stop people wandering off with your gear, and save having to throw an ice encrusted block into the back everytime you stop anywhere.

Cheers Mike,

Although i'm not sure how secure that would be on a truck? It looks a bit flimsy, and you could easily get your hand through it.

You might want to look at PVC foam board:

http://www.theplasti...board-c-25.html

Could you make saddle bags?

post-25707-0-77838000-1348091525_thumb.jpg

This would put the weight closer to where the wheel is attached. (Lets face the hinges on the back door have to do a lot of work!)

It would also allow you to put a simple belt around the tyre and use an over centre clamp to hold it in place...

http://www.protex.co...ow/name/38-5880

It also helps if you go on a ferry, the vehicle isn't any longer.

If you can get a copy of SolidWorks you can use the sheet metal function to come up with a net for the fabric!

Just a few ideas.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike,

One side is a possibility but two would not let me open the rear door, to be honest I'm not planning on putting a lot of weight in it just a rope and strop.

Cheers, Jason

Fair enough Ross, I can always use Correx, I know everything will get frozen but the rear is a bit less exposed than the bonnet or the roof.

Jason.

You'll be surprised at how exposed the rear actually is. Especially for snow building up.

In iceland they use metal boxes which fastrern in place of a rear tyre, when offorading or going up the glacia's. They don't carry a spare as they are too big to carry.

These seem to handle the cold very well,

Obviously you are keeping the rear spare but could you not hang a metal box from the spare. depending on size what about adding insulation stop the strops freezing.

A metal box sounds good, and would work well, but I think it is too much 'feature creep' from where you started. I'd make it in canvas without any inside supports so it stuffs in the truck better. And maybe do your own wheel mount webbing rather than the step. It's design breif would be 'handy bag for dirty stuff, that doesn't fall off'.

If it had any frame, I'd go with a top ring so it hangs like a bin bag. Maybe a wheel step with the plate cut out? Then you can turn it inside out through the square hoop to eject dirt/rubbish :)

Jason,

I seem to remember that Velcro fails below a certain temperature. I am not sure what that temp is, but it is likely that with the windchill you may find yourself with the bag opening while trundling down the road, especially as a lot to the weight will the held on the front flap.

A metal box sounds good, and would work well, but I think it is too much 'feature creep' from where you started. I'd make it in canvas without any inside supports so it stuffs in the truck better. And maybe do your own wheel mount webbing rather than the step. It's design breif would be 'handy bag for dirty stuff, that doesn't fall off'.

If it had any frame, I'd go with a top ring so it hangs like a bin bag. Maybe a wheel step with the plate cut out? Then you can turn it inside out through the square hoop to eject dirt/rubbish :)

Yes that was also my feeling, a simple canvas bag will cost me pennies where a metal box will cost a lot more, I also like your thinking behind keeping it soft to make it more storable inside the truck. I have no plans to use the rear step it was more the method of fastening it to the tyre got me thinking that the same method could be used to fasten a bag.

Jason,

I seem to remember that Velcro fails below a certain temperature. I am not sure what that temp is, but it is likely that with the windchill you may find yourself with the bag opening while trundling down the road, especially as a lot to the weight will the held on the front flap.

Thanks for that Ben, I hadn't thought of that, although the main use will be in the UK it needs to work in Norway also, I have some cam buckles that would work to fasten the lid down.

You'll be surprised at how exposed the rear actually is. Especially for snow building up.

To be honest I'm not surprised by any of the harshness that it will be exposed to, as above Norway is not my prime motivation but it would be nice if it would work in this situation.

In iceland they use metal boxes which fastrern in place of a rear tyre, when offorading or going up the glacia's. They don't carry a spare as they are too big to carry.

These seem to handle the cold very well,

Obviously you are keeping the rear spare but could you not hang a metal box from the spare. depending on size what about adding insulation stop the strops freezing.

I guess when you have the space a metal box would be ideal, but I don't need anything that big just something to chuck a rope and a strop into and a couple of other bit but not all of my recovery gear, with the aim of when the bits get wet and muddy they don't transfer that into the back of the truck.

Thanks for all of the comments and feedback, please keep them coming.

Jason.

Why not just make a whole new wheel cover, with a nice big pocket? You could even put some carabinas on the side to allow you too loop rope and other stuff.

It could be held in place with a simple rope and some kind of toggle on the underside.

Does it have to be attached to the wheel cover? A pocket on the side or back would be great too you'd only need to bolt it in place!

Do you think this would fit:

http://beedspeed.com/images/spareWheelcoverVesPocketHSV120130.jpg :hysterical:

A little :offtopic: I still really want to build this: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=74785&hl= , but your idea would make a fantastic interim.

Cheers,

Mike

Why not just make a whole new wheel cover, with a nice big pocket? You could even put some carabinas on the side to allow you too loop rope and other stuff.

It could be held in place with a simple rope and some kind of toggle on the underside.

Does it have to be attached to the wheel cover? A pocket on the side or back would be great too you'd only need to bolt it in place!

Do you think this would fit:

http://beedspeed.com...etHSV120130.jpg :hysterical:

A little :offtopic: I still really want to build this: http://forums.lr4x4....topic=74785&hl= , but your idea would make a fantastic interim.

Cheers,

Mike

I did consider making a cover with a pocket but that defeats the object of being able to remove it, I also looked at making a cover with a removal pocket but again it looked like a pain to sort out and I already have a perfectly serviceable wheel cover. If it worked I wanted to make one for the trailer to stick all the muddy pegs and bits in when moving camp sites.

I don't think the ratchet strap design will be difficult to achieve and will be fairly cheap cost effective to make.

I do like that rear storage thing I have seen a few ideas like that on Expedition Portal although I think the big issue is the way the defender door opens limits you to what you can have on the rear, saying that now that I have installed my rear storage unit, I find that I have more than enough room inside the Defender.

Jason.