Can I be Lazy - Hub & Swivel removal in one go??

Mean Green

I need to swap the entire Hub assembly, swivel pin housing and CV Joint on my Disco. To remove the old parts do I need to strip it step by step or If I take off the track rod and drag link and remove the bolts holding the assembly to the axle case will it all come away in one go?

I have stripped the donor and will rebuild step by step but just want to speed up the process if poss.

You can do this in one go, but as Simon has said, it's a majorly heavy lump.

I used a trolley jack to take the weight of the assembly, but you will find the weight of the steering arm will want to make the whole lump tip forwards, and it becomes really awkward to handle :angry:

I'm not saying don't do it, just be prepared for a wrestle :lol:

Oh and take care not to damage the seal inside the axle end!

what you lot need to man up :ph34r:

yes easy to do in fact on my comp/play truck i have custom made the brake lines long enough that i can just unbolt both swivels complete with calliper still attached and move them out far enough to take the diff out.

means front diff swap in under 10mins start to finish.

Its the long half shaft side that always the hardest to locate if reinstalling it as a whole unit :glare:

also the half shaft oil seal is on the back of the swivel not in the tube axle.

This is the 'cheating' quick way of changing swivel seals. I did it and I am not Charles Atlas by any means, but you will definitely need a trolley jack. Much easier in the long run than taking the whole sheboodle to bits :blink:

Well turns out it is not too heavy. I used a trolley jack to support and then position for refit and it was fairly straight forward - the biggest problem that i had was getting enough purchase to slacken off the stub axle to axle bolts, there is not enough room for a socket so I ended up with 2 spanner locked together - no exactly a safe or prescribed method, but it did the job.

The bigger problem that I have are the brake lines that I trashed while trying to loosen them off. Ho Hum!