Straight through exhaust woes

I recently bought a stainless steel straight through exhaust mid-section for my 200tdi 90 on the great bay of E. After enquiring if said pipe would fit my truck and being told that the description stated it fitted a 200tdi 90 It would be ok. The sarcasm was noted :glare: but having now a shed full of items that supposedly according to the seller fit a 200tdi and don’t :glare: , I thought it would be prudent to chance their ridicule and enquire.

Well the sun was shining this morning and so out I went with the new section of exhaust safe in the knowledge that it would fit because err they told me it would :rolleyes: !

Having un-wrapped the shrink wrap packing to my horror a blue label came into view (Britpart :o )

Oh well I thought too late now and anyway how wrong can you go with a pipe????

Well it doesn’t fit, the flanges at either end are almond shaped and mine are triangular with a bolt hole in the corners and to top it all it’s about 12” too long and the bends are in the wrong places.

Why would my defender 200tdi engine not be compatible with the pipe they sent is my vehicle an oddity? Have they got the wrong label on the pipe they sent? So many questions.

If I can get a refund from the vendors, can anyone recommend a stockist of straight through sections or give me a clue as to what type I need as I foolishly ordered a pipe compatible with a 200tdi 90 for my erm 200tdi 90 -_- .

Any advice appreciated.

J2J (Slightly Confused of Oxford)

mine was a TD which has 3 bolt triangular flanges, yours was a TD iirc, so you'll need a pipe for a TD too

It was a 2.5 petrol back in the day. Would a td5 pipe fit as they seem to have a triangular flange or

Could I fit a new down pipe from the engine with oval flanges to suit and a new tail pipe with oval flanges mated to perhaps one of those bomb type tail pipes as the back box is a bit rusty anyway?

Cheers

James

Your new bit o pipe is going to be wider diameter and with different flanges on, as it does sound like you have the thinner bore TD/petrol/N/a exhaust system on the car.

You could fit a 200tdi downpipe (or maybe a 300tdi one depending on how long your pipe is - look at the diagrams on paddocks for reference), and then the cheapest tailpipe is probably going to be a ESR4527. your centre mount may not line up anymore, but pop down to halfords and pick up one of thier universal exhaust hanger kits, and that should sort you out.

At this point, you might not be thinking your bit o pipe was a bargain, but you'll probably notice a bit more poke with a better exhaust system. And it will be much shinier.

Thanks for the reply. I think a 200tdi downpipe is the way to go I guess as the bigger bore will let the engine breath better and I have a hankering to stick a bomb exhaust on instead of the back box thus loosing the end bit anyway so have resigned myself to the inevitable.

My engine is a Defender 200tdi are the down pipes universal i.e wether the engine was from a Discovery or Defender?

Bargain + Land Rover can those words even be used together?!!!!!!!! :hysterical:

just converted mine from a petrol to a disco 200tdi and i used the straight thru 200tdi pipe and a standard rear box and i used a 200tdi front pipe i cut and joined to a conversion front pipe of ebay (andy) i did have to make some new mounts but it was easy enough.

no, discovery & defender downpipes are different, because the turbo outlet is in a different place, mine still runs a TD system complete & I haven't had any problems in 16 years since the Stainless steel system was fitted

Sorry to ask more questions but could I just get a 200tdi defender downpipe and fit it to my engine and then use the straight through mid-section and new tail pipe?

Are the defender td/ na petrol and 200tdi downpipes the same diameter at the manifold end, the bit that push fits to the outlet below the turbo manifold? Do they interchange or is it likely Land Rover have swapped the whole manifold in the engine conversion?

The images show the size of the manifold and a funny jointed bit down from the clamp fixing is this right or a bodge to fit the TD exhaust system.

I don’t want to labour the point it’s just I don’t want to buy a 200tdi down pipe only to find they changed the manifold to fit a td exhaust system and the new down pipe won’t fit because the manifold push fit bit is wrong given as someone mentioned there is a discrepancy in diameters between the td and 200tdi.

Thanks

James

post-13733-0-88837600-1349036387_thumb.jpg

post-13733-0-10526100-1349036403_thumb.jpg

post-13733-0-20935400-1349036432_thumb.jpg

my TD downpipe was a bit tight but does slide all the way on to the turbo outlet & clamps up tight.so there isn't that much difference in diameter.

your 2nd photo is correct, that bigger diameter piece is original mine has the same.visible between washer bottle & intercooler pipe.

aircleanerhousing.jpg