Hybrid question

gav-

What with the rules on chassis swaps etc.

Is it possible to mount a 100 inch defender/series body work onto a unmolested discovery chassis by utilising the existing chassis brackets and using bolted bracketery only.

Yeh but........

You can add to the chassis can't you? Just not take away or cut? So you could add bulkhead out riggers over the old mounts?

I nearly failed on the transit van MOT as I had welded brackets to the underside of the now 2mm thick chassis bottom, behind the cab. It was one of thoses MOT ministry checking guys and it was everyones unlucky day. No problem with the bracket, just that is was cross welded causing a stress raiser. Now I know an MOT isn't an IVA, but as I see see it, addition is okay as long as it is done properly?

And to go in completely the opposite direction, I've seen a rangy chassis with a series body, where an intermidiate frame was added for the series body. You get the same isolation on rubber mounts as the rangy/disco. So definately do-able, and been done :)

I guess it gave it a 3-4" body lift, but that will make the wheel arch problem easier.

Personally, I would love to see an S2-3 body with the front wings moved out so there wern't spats. There was an S1 lookalike last weekend with a wide-body to cover wheels on rangy axels.

Thanks for the replies. I already have a wildcat which I am planning on iva'ing so don't fancy doing another

I thought it would be nice to be able to rebody without making any chassis mods to make it easier.

I fancy building something that didn't require lots of paperwork!