Noddy's guide - adding electrical bits through the fuse box...

Hi All,

I want to add a new security device to my 110.

Does anyone have a noddy's guide on how to add accessories to the existing 1996 300tdi fuse box?

I took the cover off and there is just a mass of wires, behind a metal plate.

Ta,

Mike

i run all my new electrical bits into new, aftermarket fuse boards to save confusion and issues later on. Adding them is a piece of cake with a little thought going into it 1st.

So, if i was to buy a fuse box, stick it next to the battery and have some separate wires on the battery terminals to the box?

(Told you i need a noddys guide... :) )

That would work, you could also bring a switched live from somewhere and use it via a relay to provide you with power controlled from the ignition switch. Then you can choose whether you want your additions to be permanently powered or not.

Another choice for your permanent live other than the battery is the fat cable connected to the starter motor, depends what is easiest for your final fusebox location.

For the device I want to add, I'm tempted to take it straight off the radio with some scotch connectors...

No! not scotch connectors. :banned: they are horrid things. well crimped bullet or fully insulated spade terminals or soldered & covered with heatshrink.

For the device I want to add, I'm tempted to take it straight off the radio with some scotch connectors...

urgh, not scotch connectors .... anything but scotch connectors. By all means take it straight off the radio if it is low current (which most security stuff is). However remember if the radio is easy for you to pop out it's easy for others.

Without giving too much away, could you give us a better idea of what sort of security device you are fitting. If it's just something like a flashing LED, to act as a deterant, connecting at the radio would be fine, but if we're talking about an alarm/immobiliser that is going to be flashing the indictors etc. then it's probably not a good idea and you should be looking to connect it at the fuse box, maybe with inline waterproof fuseholders soldered behind the fusebox. When fitting security it's worth bearing in mind that the more effort you put in to fitting it, the more difficult it will be for the theiving little s**ts to get around it.

Dave