Wiring.....:-)

jonost24

Okey-dokey. Started running a few wires last night. Just for my own piece of mind...injector wires... I have 4 green/grey and 4 red/grey running back to the ecu. Are the four wires then tied together, thru the bulkhead to the ecu then 2 wires each into the 2 connectors? Do I then have 8 separate brown/orange wires going back to pin 30 on the relay? with blue/yellow going from pin 30 to the ecu? Do all these wires go into one connector?

I know this is all on the wiring diagram, but wanted to make sure no wires were spliced together.

As I said, I'm at the very start of the loom build, so just want to make sure my interpretation is correct.

Thanks

For the Injector to ECU you do not have to tie all 4 wires together as each bank has 2 pins on the 37 pin connector (so you need to get it down to 2 wires per injector bank)

One way of doing this is to piggyback 2 injectors together.

e.g.

green/grey from injector 1 plug to injector 3 plug, injector 3 plug to pin32

green/grey from injector 5 plug to injector 7 plug, injector 7 plug to pin33

For the power side you can do the same but 4 -> 1 and then at the relay in the spade terminal and join the 2 banks together.

I also used a double contact relay (one with two 87 terminals like http://www.polevolt..../info_2388.html) for the main relay, this mean the ecu power (blue/yellow) had it's own connector (good to keep separate parts of the loom on different connectors)

If you do the piggyback method make sure your wire is up to 4x the injector current for brown/orange and 2x for green/grey and red/grey

If you don't do the piggy back method you will have to splice the wires to reduce the number as 37 pin connector will only just take one wire per connector (it's a really carp connector to use :glare: )

Also note that using a double contact relay for the fuel pump relay helps with the number of wires you have to connect.

One way of doing this is to piggyback 2 injectors together.

e.g.

green/grey from injector 1 plug to injector 3 plug, injector 3 plug to pin32

green/grey from injector 5 plug to injector 7 plug, injector 7 plug to pin33

Does it matter which injectors go to pin32/33? Could it be 5 & 3 to pin32 for example?

You could use a Header Connector to splice multiple wires down to one.

The 20-way Sumitomo headers (as used all over Land Rovers), can have several sub-circuits in them, depending on their colour -

BLACK

HMSplice-Black.jpg

Sub-divided into five circuits -

HMSplice-Black-Circuits.jpg

BLUE

HMSplice-Blue.jpg

Sub-divided into four circuits -

HMSplice-Blue-Circuits.jpg

GREEN

HMSplice-Green.jpg

Sub-divided into four circuits -

HMSplice-Green-Circuits.jpg

GREY

HMSplice-Grey.jpg

Sub-divided into three circuits -

HMSplice-Grey-Circuits.jpg

ORANGE

HMSplice-Orange.jpg

Sub-divided into six circuits -

HMSplice-Orange-Circuits.jpg

YELLOW

HMSplice-Yellow.jpg

Sub-divided into five circuits -

HMSplice-Yellow-Circuits.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Er

"Rather Nasty" and badly

I have unwound one and was horrified at the build quality

Bank injector wires were stripped of insulation at the jpin point then a sort a metal strip had been wound around it and belted with a hammer - thats the

joint done then, and some cloth stick black wrap shoved on it, jopins everywhere, wires changing colours and also some so thin as to be useless.

Old harnesses often the palstic coating goes hard and breaks away

Some of the plugs and sockets are of the cheapest-we-could-find - the winner is still IMHO the resistor pack plug on a flapper

truly a god amongst the cheap n nasty plugs :)

HTH

Nige

• 2 weeks later...

So, back to it at last :rolleyes: . 8 separate wires back to the ecu, then I can get these down to 4 lots of 2 for the DB37. Now I know the wiring diagram is idiot proof but being almost a complete idiot I just need some suggestions for the joins for the power side for the injectors. For example, do I splice wires together for 2&4 and 6&8, then 2 wires back to the relay, The same for 1,3,5 & 7, or is it best to splice 4 together somewhere in the engine bay with 1 wire per bank back to the relay? What is the general consensus on this? Zardos suggested 4 to 1 per bank, but dependent on the wire rating. Nige, with the wire you supplied is this feasible? This sounds pretty basic, but I don't want melty wires when I power up :unsure: