Worth Spending More?

jad

Im looking into buying remote take off plates, covers, -10AN/JIC aeroquip hoses, a filter mount with 3/4" oil filter and anything else I need.

On Ebay and other shops the prices of such things vary massively. My question is, is it worth spending more on ones from the UK like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-oil-sandwich-plate-kit-TVC50-/190349051156?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c51b00514 or is one from china like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminum-Oil-Filter-Cooler-Sandwich-Plate-Adapter-Kit-M20x1-5-3-4-16-UNF-silver-/360444286608?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53ec275690 going to be just as well made even though its under half the price?

I priced up the parts I need from this website http://www.speedflowshop.co.uk/index.asp in the UK and it came to about £250. I can get the same parts just rebranded on ebay for a little less.

What do people think? Are there any specific companies in the UK that people use for this kind of thing?

Cheers

Jad

Hey up.

Its for the filter otherwise it will be in my chassis! Im going to use the standard water/oil cooler which I can relocate from the engine mount to the remote mount to give some more room as well.

Will have a look around

cheers

Anyone know of any take off oil plates and remote filter mounts with 5/8" BSP tapped holes? They all seem to have 1/2"BSP ports with adaptors to put them up in size. The oil ways from the pump are about 15-16mm so wanted to keep that diameter rather than going down to 12mm at the connections..... Strikes me as a fairly pointless restriction in the system!

Cheers

Jad

Good question.

I'd suspect that the flow rate won't change (positive displacement pump), however, if there's a significant pressure drop across the pipework then the oil pump will be starved of oil.

Then again, the largest pressure drop will be across the filter.

Hmmm - anyone with more knowledge about these engines care to comment?

If it was mine, I'd do it. But stay away from sharp bends - use swept bends in fittings etc. When it's all complete, fit an oil pressure gauge and check that it's normal.

I'd vote for Mocal bits from Think Automotive, they're not insane money and if there's any issue you can phone them up and shout at them (not that you would need to, they are nice guys and very helpful), unlike eBay. For the hose & fittings, if you're not worried about colour-co-ordinated stainless braided etc. then just get hoses & fittings from your local Hyphose / Pirtek / Ye Olde Hydraulics Shoppe, engine pressure is low enough you can use cheap multi-purpose hose and barbed fittings with jubilee clips.

I don't know what sort of oil system the Lexus lump you're using has - the Rover is high-flow-low-pressure (and 1/2" works fine, BTW) but I'd expect the Lexus to be higher pressure and lower flow.

A la google, oil pressure when cold can go up to 120psi and at hot idle down to 30psi.

Most people seem to recommend -10AN lines for the 1uz just cant find any mounts with greater than 1/2BSP or NPT. Have fount one that has enough material to be redrilled and tapped though.....

Cheers

Jad

Hey up.

Its for the filter otherwise it will be in my chassis! Im going to use the standard water/oil cooler which I can relocate from the engine mount to the remote mount to give some more room as well.

Will have a look around

cheers

You know that a sandwich plate by itself will actually give you less room (as they are designed to be sandwiched in between the filter and oil filter mount)

To make more room you will need a top plate like

http://www.speedflowshop.co.uk/take-off-plate-side-feed-with-various-thread-versions-570-top01-1024-p.asp

or

http://www.speedflowshop.co.uk/take-off-cover---tvc150-1385-p.asp

When I did a remote oil filter so it would not hit the diff I used the same thing but from Think Automotive (they were very helpful in selecting the right parts and they are local enough for me to visit. They also made a minor mod to a part on their lathe while I waited to make it fit my need)

Mostly Aussies I think... I cant find anyone using smaller than -10 or 5/8s for oil lines. They use -8 1/2" for the fuel lines

I can go up in size on thinkauto to M18x1.5 or M22x1.5 ports. Doesnt anyone know what internal diameter of a male connection with these threads would be?

Cheers

Jad