Zeus Power Steering Seals

JeffR

Not far off the mark, sadly a hell of a lot of D1 body panels are no longer available, or where they are available, they are prohibitively expensive. Therefore fabrication is the way. what has taken up too much time is undoing very shoddy bodges.

I know exactly what you are saying there!! My Rusty is 20 yrs old and there has been some very interesting things done in the last few years to keep him on the road but all I can say is that for the time and effort taken to do the bodging they could have actually done it properly!!! I don't like the bodge it and scarper methods at all!!!

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=79562

See here and you will know exactly what I mean.....

Nah, that's not rust, this is rust:

post-25095-0-18952900-1353093624_thumb.jpg

post-25095-0-10888700-1353093523_thumb.jpg

post-25095-0-65143700-1353093483_thumb.jpg

post-25095-0-81308200-1353093702_thumb.jpg

Then of course one has the problem that when the Lone Ranger and Tonto replaced the boot floor, they got a bit bored so decided that it didn't really need ALL of the crossmembers fitted, and because of this the whole kit and caboodle sunk, so to stop the one crossmember they did fit from hitting the chassis, they merely cut chunks out of it.

Still made some progress today:

post-25095-0-33004400-1353093934_thumb.jpg

post-25095-0-02008800-1353093989_thumb.jpg

Never mind, will get the boot floor in tomorrow.....

Holy f**k did you by any chance happen to know about the infestation of tin worm in there when you bought it?

You got a really rough deal on that one!!! I on the other hand have less welding to do but a lot more refurbishment of the interior, I bid you the best of luck and I bid your wife a whole truck load more of understanding when it comes to men and their Land Rovers LOL.

Holy f**k did you by any chance happen to know about the infestation of tin worm in there when you bought it?

You got a really rough deal on that one!!! I on the other hand have less welding to do but a lot more refurbishment of the interior, I bid you the best of luck and I bid your wife a whole truck load more of understanding when it comes to men and their Land Rovers LOL.

was very cheap and very well camouflaged, you have never seen as much iron filings mixed with body filler and silicone, but still, I have repaired worse vehicles over the years. I used to have a 2 year old Alfasud back in the 80's which was much much worse. And I have a lot of patience

That's it, finito benito! This has turned into a monster. I have removed over 11kgs of rust and silicone from this bloody car to date (that does NOT include rusty panels!!!!!!!). I will be so glad when it's done, trouble is I sort of reached a Catch 22 point, do I just scrap it and buy another, or do I fix what I've already got? Chose the latter. But bugger me , Discoverys can rust, anywhere, they were definitely not built to last.

still, as the wife says, it's kept me out of mischief between contracts!

• 2 months later...

Time for a bit of an update. Took some time off, needed to think long and hard on where this thing was going (scrapyard was looking very tempting!) and decided to crack on.

So repaired the crossmember to which the fuel tank mounts (no photos cos, well it was 2x 2inch bits of metal) An welded the floor in:

post-25095-0-84704200-1360945189_thumb.jpg

then turned this

post-25095-0-96689100-1360945330_thumb.jpg

into this

post-25095-0-99048500-1360945391_thumb.jpg

and this

post-25095-0-45244500-1360945462_thumb.jpg

and this

post-25095-0-71364400-1360945518_thumb.jpg

Recon another couple of days and re assembly can begin. Re-wired where the rats had eaten the wiring in the dash......

• 1 month later...

Well, children, by about 8.00pm this evening, I will finish off the last of the welding on this pig (if the gas cylinder don't run out), then it's time to put a coat of paint on it and begin the reassemble, oh and bleed the brakes, adjust a rear wheel bearing and a few minor odds n sods that I have undoubtedly forgot about

How long till we find out your recon steering box leaks/is knackered? :ph34r:

Well, it didn't leak when I fitted it in October and bled the system and drove it round the garden a few times, so, fingers/legs/arms/children crossed....

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update for anyone interested - FINALLY REASSEMBLING THE BLOODY THING, the light at the end of the tunnel is not a train after all!. Just waiting on the arrival of some multi pin connectors to replace the spuggies nest of chocolate blocks and scotch locks that make up the tow bar electrics.................

I never ever ever ever ever ever want to weld up another D1, not in this bloody lifetime, and to think that 6 months (and an awful lot of lost blood pain and bad language) ago I set out to change some f&%£ing leaky power steering seals.

Just a quick update for anyone interested - FINALLY REASSEMBLING THE BLOODY THING, the light at the end of the tunnel is not a train after all!. Just waiting on the arrival of some multi pin connectors to replace the spuggies nest of chocolate blocks and scotch locks that make up the tow bar electrics.................

I never ever ever ever ever ever want to weld up another D1, not in this bloody lifetime, and to think that 6 months (and an awful lot of lost blood pain and bad language) ago I set out to change some f&%£ing leaky power steering seals.

Worry not Jeff, I am in the same situation, only I have left the steering box until last, but JBS has come up trumps with a best buy!!!

Really must update my build thread at some point......

Top work on finishing it though, post up some photos so we can see it running.

Worry not Jeff, I am in the same situation, only I have left the steering box until last, but JBS has come up trumps with a best buy!!!

No worries about the PAS box I was having a look through where you ordered it and remembered how much you were going to Be raped :blink: charged for one to get to you hence why I let you know I've done the same thing a few times for members on here It's always nice to be able to be helpful If possible.

John

EHHH I didn't say it was running, just said it was going back together..... :blush: