tyre pressure valve caps

LR NUT

I thought that too... surely they are compressing the valve to allow the air into the cap to measure the pressure... which means you're relying on the screw thread to hold the air in?

No your relying on an O ring as an air seal.

Maybe, but you're still disabling the proper valve. ISTR I've heard of somebody with these having the cap broken off by kerbing or something and lost all the air as a result.

Not for me. It's easy enough to go round with the tyre gauge.

as above, these are not very reliable, and very easy to steel too... if you want to cover the tyre pressure issue bite the bullet and fit something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ORO-TPMS-Kit-Wireless-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-W401-Car-/400326271592?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item5d354e2268

I fitted a load of the tyre valve cap type that show on the cap by changing from green to red when the preasure drops, to a fleet of vehicles ( mainly transits)

Within 6 months nearly all the high pressure ones (55 psi, 60 psi, etc) had completely failed. Either slowly leaking or more usually sudden deflation.

Also they were not very acurrate, and just a small amount of road dirt made them so you coulnt see what colour they were and had to go round wiping them

Maybe, but you're still disabling the proper valve. ISTR I've heard of somebody with these having the cap broken off by kerbing or something and lost all the air as a result.

Not for me. It's easy enough to go round with the tyre gauge.

cheers everyone for the input after what IanS and ianl1 have said its looks like the good old fashioned was is best :hysterical: