td5 defender won't start after service.

lyron

as above, just done a full service on our td5 defender, ran fine. untill we changed the filter under the chassis, primed to the book. pump working non stop i e whizzing round like a demented wasp, will it sart?????will it eckers like. any advice on priming the thing or any other suggestions would be very helpfull.

ron. :i-m_so_happy:

You need to bleed the air out. RAVE says:

1. Turn the ignition switch off and wait 15 seconds.

2. Turn the ignition switch to position II and wait 3 minutes (this ensures that the fuel system purges all the air from the fuel rail within the cylinder head).

3. Fully depress the throttle pedal.

4. Keeping the throttle pedal fully depressed, crank the engine.

5. As soon as engine speed exceeds 600 rev/min, release the throttle pedal and the ignition switch.The engine must not be cranked continuously for more than 30 seconds at any one time.

6. If the engine fails to start, repeat the above procedure.

To put the engine ecu into its proper bleed cycle,turn on the ignition and fully depress and release the throttle more than 5 times in 10 seconds,(Just whack it down several times) till the engine management lamp flashes.This will keep the pump cycling on and off for a few mins.I usually repeat it twice then they fire up straight away.

The purge mode (pumping the pedal 5 times) only bleeds the fuel lines. it will/can not bleed the injectors, hence why you need to wind it over on the starter motor for an unhealthy amount of time (the injectors will only bleed while cranking is taking place). If you fit a new filter you should fill it with fresh diesel first to minimise the amount of air being drawn into the system. If you do this they normaly fire straight away. If you have put an empty filter on then it could be a piggy to get going again, the easiest way to get one started like this is to tow it. Also check that when you swapped the filter that you removed the old O ring, these often stick in place and go un-noticed meaning you end up with two O rings and a poor seal which allows air to be drawn in.

Steve

To put the engine ecu into its proper bleed cycle,turn on the ignition and fully depress and release the throttle more than 5 times in 10 seconds,(Just whack it down several times) till the engine management lamp flashes.This will keep the pump cycling on and off for a few mins.I usually repeat it twice then they fire up straight away.

I no longer have RAVE installed but IIRC the "ofishul process" is to pump 5 times then at the end of the bleed cycle apply full throttle and crank (keeping pedal on the floor) till it starts. I don't know if the full throttle at the end of the bleed cycle triggers some programming that opens the injectors a lot longer to purge air or what, but it works, as I've done it on one that somebody was having air problems with and it worked. And if you do it on one that doesn't need it you can get quite an impressive cloud of smoke :)

I no longer have RAVE installed but IIRC the "ofishul process" is to pump 5 times then at the end of the bleed cycle apply full throttle and crank (keeping pedal on the floor) till it starts. I don't know if the full throttle at the end of the bleed cycle triggers some programming that opens the injectors a lot longer to purge air or what, but it works, as I've done it on one that somebody was having air problems with and it worked. And if you do it on one that doesn't need it you can get quite an impressive cloud of smoke :)

followed your advice. up and running this morning. so a great deal of thanks to all who offered advice.

yours, a very greatfull ron.

Glad its up and running again.I would however add that filling the filter with fuel is not good practice - you end up with unfiltered fuel on both sides of the filter... Pump fuel is not very clean and the fuel equipment on modern diesels works to very fine tolerances.The slightest particle of dirt can and will block injector nozzle holes resulting in lost power - or cause undue wear in the unit injector itself.

The bleed cycle should be all that is needed,I tend to set it going while I'm doing the other underbonnet stuff or refitting the rear wheels etc.As a rule if they wont start after 2 bleed cycles then something else is wrong.

Glad its up and running again.I would however add that filling the filter with fuel is not good practice - you end up with unfiltered fuel on both sides of the filter... Pump fuel is not very clean and the fuel equipment on modern diesels works to very fine tolerances.The slightest particle of dirt can and will block injector nozzle holes resulting in lost power - or cause undue wear in the unit injector itself.

The bleed cycle should be all that is needed,I tend to set it going while I'm doing the other underbonnet stuff or refitting the rear wheels etc.As a rule if they wont start after 2 bleed cycles then something else is wrong.

good point, and very sensible advice, the diesel i used to fill the filter was new and clean. but i do take your point. thanks again for the advice.

ron.

I would however add that filling the filter with fuel is not good practice - you end up with unfiltered fuel on both sides of the filter... Pump fuel is not very clean and the fuel equipment on modern diesels works to very fine tolerances.The slightest particle of dirt can and will block injector nozzle holes resulting in lost power - or cause undue wear in the unit injector itself.

I tend to agree but I am sure there is somebody picky enough to suggest putting it through a coffee filter so it is as clean as possible?

Good trick that though and will log the purge cycling into memory for the eventuality that might occur one day.....

I've never filled a fuel filter on anything. Even on a Tdi you can fit a new filter, start it and as long as you let it idle and don't touch the throttle it will self purge, be a few farts and pops after a minute or so but then it clears and it's fine.

Sorry, when I quoted I meant to add a reply! Interesting that people are doing this as I've always been advised to prime the filter first, and the same for an oil filter too but I guess that's not as important :-o Whilst I don't disagree with the thoughts on this I think i will continue to fill my filter with the filthy fuel we are subjected to in this country ;-)