Cooler/radiator options, ideas appreciated

Soren Frimodt

Need a cooler that is no more than 450mm's wide for my 80" hybrid, so if anybody has any great ideas and/or measurements of different coolers suggestions on a cooler option would be nice :)

So far have been running a SIII cooler, but it is too wide with my new steering box, and I would have to cut the battery tray support leg to fit it, something I'd rather not..

I would prefer to keep it an LR part if possible, if not, then so be it.

in- and output at the top and bottom.

Cheers

Well height is not that much of an issue as it goes past the front crossmember already, and thickness neither, does like one with somewhat of a thickness, doesn't like those flimsy plastic ones you see on modern euroboxes.. So again something LR would be nice, was thinking about a TDI radiator, but that is like 550mm so no use :(

I wonder if someone could re-core a tdi one (or your series one) with a core that takes the unit to the required width. M&D engineering offer an uprated core for the tdi rad, perhaps they can also source something that is not as wide...?

Recoring is definitely as option, but there's two downsides to this from my POV, 1st. I'll have something unique, meaning if I put a hole in it, when out playing, the downtime will be way long. And 2nd I know from previous experience that it is quite expensive to get done here in Denmark, it usually costs at least as much as a new stock rad.

But thanks for the suggestions nonetheless, it is something I have considered

True about costs of recore, but I am having my old V8 radiator recored for my Tdi as I will be fitting a bespoke intercooler in front of the radiator and will want the extra width to replace the original intercooler and to ensure the volume and surface area of the radiator are bigger to compensate for the intercooler being mounted in front of the radiator and not beside it.

I understand and agree with keeping items as standard as possible but maybe you could engineer some protection to minimize damage to a custom radiator? I know I will...

Sorry guys, didn't see your responses :( Yeah John that is the way I intended, it's just that we only have euroboxes on the scrapyards here, and as I said earlier, those radiators look really flimsy, afraid they are going to break in my hands :D And furthermore they do not contain nearly as much fluid..

And Rad in the back? Well not so sure about that there are many downsides to it and it takes a whole lot of work, and I'd prefer using my electrical power on my winch, not fanblades ;)

Elbekko: That last radiator is just perfect! Although with shipping and taxes to Denmark it is about 300 quid, yikes!

Uhh might just have to cut that batterysupport a wee bit..