CB - how to use one with a crash helmet

MogLite

Okay - so MogLite has got a conventional in-car CB.

Alas safety says I'm going to be wearing a motor-cross style helmet for most of the time in the vehicle.

This is going to make hearing the external speaker, and operating the microphone a little tricky to say the least.

So I'm looking at the in-helmet ear-phones and mics that motorcyclists use - something like this

hs-100.jpg

That one is on eBay - full link here

All the kits seem to be either setup for phones or PMRs - not CBs. Whilst hacking off the connectors to suit isn't a problem, would the speakers and mic work well with a CB - would the impedance match ?

FWIW my preference is a PTT on the mic, I don't like VOX or throat mics.

Ring up and ask, most are available to fit CB. I bought one last year to fit my Midland handheld... http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/pmr446_ear_pieces+mics.htm FWIW, Midland is the same make as Alan.

Are you sure about the MX helmet? You need a special MSA approved (green IIRC) label on the helmet to meet AWDC regs, a motorcycle helmet will NOT do - even though it probably exceeds the requirements. Other official bodies may also have this requirement...

Chris

Some motorbike helmets will meet the specs. Needs to be blue label not green, Blue is type A and green is the lower spec type B both BS6658.

The gold and silver motorcycle tags are idendpendant of the blue/geen BS tags and are not recognised by the MSA for blue book regs.

I have here a green tag type B helmet that also has the silver tag and two blue tag type A helmets one of which is also gold tag.

Just make sure you meet blue book specs and you shouldn't have any issue using it in comps.

As for the radios I use the same speaker mic in my Midland PMR's and my handheld CB, works fine in either.

All the kits seem to be either setup for phones or PMRs - not CBs. Whilst hacking off the connectors to suit isn't a problem, would the speakers and mic work well with a CB - would the impedance match ?

most CB's use 4 Ohm impedance speakers, you could put a PTT switch on the gear shift or steering wheel spokes

Edited by western

INTFL9MQ.jpg

About this product

Specially designed to help cost conscious teams. This clever innovation eliminates the need for a separate radio system by linking your intercom (FMT15/FMT100/FMT110) to a mobile phone or hand portable radio. Benefit from all the noise reducing capabilities of your Peltor while taking advantage of the flexibility of a mobile/radio. (Telephone and radio not included).

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/Pro...;pcode=INTFL9MQ

Andy this is what I'm looking at for my peltor intercoms but at £121 + vat I think its a bit steep

I have always raced in there helmets but have been looking into Bluetooth for co-driver's helmet/head set.

Okay - so MogLite has got a conventional in-car CB.

Alas safety says I'm going to be wearing a motor-cross style helmet for most of the time in the vehicle.

This is going to make hearing the external speaker, and operating the microphone a little tricky to say the least.

So I'm looking at the in-helmet ear-phones and mics that motorcyclists use - something like this

hs-100.jpg

That one is on eBay - full link here

Andy Jules hs your copy of Truff Trucks, you may have it by now. On there they have PMR taped to the side of the their helmits. Same on the 2006 outback video

BTW when you get a copy of jules of the 2006 outback count the amout of wheel studs on the rangie's and it takes up back to the topic i was talking about in the Portals discution