Poor radio reception

reb78

As above. What are the causes? I have a decent sony radio, its a normal 110 aerial (and yes it is up!) and it is all connected properly.

I struggle to get some of the more minor stations but these are fine in the other cars.

A seperate issue affecting the 110 and the other cars is that i have a couple of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Griffin-GC23110-PowerJolt-Charger-iPhone/dp/B0042B82W6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353678229&sr=1-3

and whenever they are working and charging something, the radio interference means you have to put a CD on.

What can i do to improve reception in the 110 and solve the interference problem with the USB chargers?

try cleaning the antenna mounting area so it gets a good earth contact, then refit & cover with vaseline to keep any moisture from creating more corrosion.

I suspect the USB charger thing doesn't comply with UK/Euro radio spectrum interfernce regulations., not CE approved probably

I suspect you are picking up interference along the power wires in to the radio.

I would add two things.

1. a ferrite core/choke in the battery live, ignition live and earth leads to the radio:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Pieces-New-3-5mm-Dia-Black-Clip-On-EMI-RFI-Noise-Ferrite-Core-Filter-/140881646542?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item20cd3353ce

Coil the wire through the core several times if you can. Each time the wire passes through the core it reduces interference a bit more.

You might want to add a couple on the leads to the lighter socket too.

2. Add an RF Choke (like you get on the back of an alternator) between each of the live connections to the radio and earth:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-UZB111-alternator-radio-interference-supressor-/230599747081?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b0d0e609

It might also be worth making sure there is one on your alternator while you are about it!

Poor earths in a vehicle can also produce interference. Check all the earths on to the bulkhead / body, particularly in the engine bay. Clean, cover with Vaseline and re-connect.

These steps should eliminate or at least reduce the problem!

Si

Thanks Chaps. Useful information as always.

I'll check out the earth for the antenna and the earths on the bulkhead (theyre already on my list!). So the antenna base plate should be touching the wing and making good contact there is that right??

Thanks for the links Si - i'm in the car a lot, so dont mind adding bits like that to try and get the radio reception to a better standard.

For what it's worth, I have one of those Griffin charger things, got it from the states last year and it has no effect at all on my reception.

Yeah - i thought they were a decent make. I have bought two, from different sources and they all create interference in all three of my vehicles. It is less in the disco and BMW than in the 110 - in the 110, it renders the radio useless.

Thanks Chaps. Useful information as always.

I'll check out the earth for the antenna and the earths on the bulkhead (theyre already on my list!). So the antenna base plate should be touching the wing and making good contact there is that right??

Thanks for the links Si - i'm in the car a lot, so dont mind adding bits like that to try and get the radio reception to a better standard.

the ridged U shaped bit that goes under the wing skin & grips should go onto bare metal to get a good earth contact.