Advice on sourcing a 200tdi

Hi,

Time has come to replace the asthmatic 19J in my 110. A mate of mine has a discovery 200tdi that had done 250k, the engine seems to run very well considering the high astronomical mileage. It doesn't smoke and the coolant fluid looks good. Looks like that disco was looked after rather well. The previous owner sorned it because of the clutch fork snapping.

My only concern is the lack of service history and mileage !

As I don't have much experience with 200tdis I'd like to know what the general opinion is.

Should I expect to get another few years service out of it or should I look elsewhere?

In advance thanks for your opinions

Plenty of 200Tdis about clocking in at the far side of 300k or 400k. Looked after they go on for a good while.

The key is that last bit. All you can really do without a history is check the condition of the engine. Look for clean oil, a lack of leaks, and good levels of performance.

You don't want an engine that is haemorrhaging oil, with filters that look like they haven't been changed in years, or that smokes like the Flying Scotsman!

I'd love to rebuild it but I don't think I have the skills. I'm borrowing a mate's shed for the install as I only have a communal parking at home! It seems to run really well and smokes far less than my 19J (which is not hard). I'm thinking it must have had some sort of rebuild during that 250k for it to not smoke that much...

The only problem is that I can't test drive it as it has a snapped clutch fork.

Quite tempted to rebuild it, what would be the way to go? I'm thinking new pistons, rings, honing the bores, new oil pump and possibly have a gas flowed exchange head from turners. Maybe have the injectors and pump tested?

I'm hesitating to just fit the engine as is and do the necessary work once it's in my 110 (it's a weekend toy after all). Obviously while it's out fit a new cambelt kit, rear crank seal and water pump.

Cheers

I'd love to rebuild it but I don't think I have the skills. I'm borrowing a mate's shed for the install as I only have a communal parking at home! It seems to run really well and smokes far less than my 19J (which is not hard). I'm thinking it must have had some sort of rebuild during that 250k for it to not smoke that much...

The only problem is that I can't test drive it as it has a snapped clutch fork.

Quite tempted to rebuild it, what would be the way to go? I'm thinking new pistons, rings, honing the bores, new oil pump and possibly have a gas flowed exchange head from turners. Maybe have the injectors and pump tested?

I'm hesitating to just fit the engine as is and do the necessary work once it's in my 110 (it's a weekend toy after all). Obviously while it's out fit a new cambelt kit, rear crank seal and water pump.

Cheers

Skills come with doing... How satisfying would it be? As for space, an emgine makes a great ornament in your living room!

You won't really know what needs changing til you strip it down and look at the state of everything... It might be good for another 200k a has been said.

Don't forget, you have the forum for support!

I only did the timing belt on mine, nothing else, and she's never missed a beat since. On the other hand, VulcanBomber has just rebuilt his 110's engine, and we recon its been on the road 4 days since....My 109 keeps stepping in while he fixes it again :hysterical: :hysterical:

If its running, leave it alone, especially if its only a weekend toy.

I only did the timing belt on mine, nothing else, and she's never missed a beat since. On the other hand, VulcanBomber has just rebuilt his 110's engine, and we recon its been on the road 4 days since....My 109 keeps stepping in while he fixes it again :hysterical: :hysterical:

If its running, leave it alone, especially if its only a weekend toy.

Dont you start Edward!! She's running again now. In the engines defence its not its fault the 110's acted up. Its done a head gasket (my fault) split a water pipe and then burst the oil cooler in the rad... I've then fitted an intercooler thats far bigger than any off the shelf stuff so its taken a while with the dark nights and little baby at home.

Engine rebuilds are very easy but be prepared to spend more than you planned. My block was rebored at wards in rugby, Richards a very nice, helpful chap.

Guys, many thanks for your advice.

I'm going to buy it, change the cambelt, water pump and rear crank oil seal prior to fitting it and go from there. It looks like it's been well maintained, got fresh filters and all the fluids look decent. It's got a slight leak from the rocker cover gasket but nothing like my current one!!!