Does anyone know what this part does?

Dorsetfreelander

Just had the Freelander 2 serviced and noticed the attached in the footwell below the glovebox. Haven't been back to the garage yet (it's a long way to go). Glovebox now drops down so it's some sort of damper and I think that a bit has broken off the end. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

it's got 6H52-F06066 and LandRover logo printed on it

post-5249-0-70488100-1354701103_thumb.jpg

Hi

That's the damper for the glove box so it opens

Slowly

Looks broken to me

One end with the rod and clip fits on the back of the glove box and the other end clips into a hole in the dash

Hope this helps

If its like this since the garage ring them up and ask for a new one

• 1 year later...

Unbelievably, almost a year to the day, I had my FL2 serviced and the same item appeared in the passenger footwell.

I called the dealer and explained the problem and they said "Nothing to do with us mate!", until I reminded them that they had changed the pollen filter behind the glove box. "oh dear, ah yes" said the man, "Bring it in and we'll fix it!".

Maybe it's something easily damaged when changing the pollen filter!

Andy.

Mine had the fixing broken at the end , I fixed easily it with a cable tie rather than drive to the garage. It's been OK since. This has been the least of my Freelander 2 problems this year (new clutch, throttle body, seized handbrake mechanism, replace steering fluid reservoir, howling noise from turbo and now drive shaft going wobbly) oh nearly forgot - rear passenger door not locking properly. My son works in Africa and says that you don't see Landrovers any more, everyone drives Toyotas.

It's always been the saying in Australia that "if you want to go into the outback, take a Land Rover. If you want to come back, take a Land Cruiser."

I've never known why, apart from a brief period from about 1992-1998, Land Rover can't make a reliable vehicle that isn't plagued with design faults.

From the link above it has been superseded with a new part that has a hinge in it. Perhaps the original part was poorly designed at the outset and is easily broken.

Poor performance of the garages for not replacing it when they broke it.