What are the symptoms of a failing CV joint?

Troll Hunter

The title says it. On my Defender 110 I occasionally have a great shuddering and vibration that shakes the whole vehicle, possibly from the front, right hand side, but only at very low speed, and usually, but not always when turning. After de-clutching for a moment, and then re-engaging and accelerating all is well. I've checked all prop shaft flange joints, u-joints, wheel studs, and everything seems OK. Any ideas, please?

Mike

Axle stands out, front wheels in the air, good feel of the wheel bearings and swivel pins at different locks and sides and i'm sure you will answer your own question in the time it takes to drink the obligatory "cup of tea" and will have diagnosed your "bolloxed" C/V joint.

This job however is near impossible without the "brew", you know it makes sense.

Good luck.

Good advice, as usual, thank you. I must admit, I hadn't considered a hand brake problem. Thank you, Muddy.

After the forthcoming chaos of the new year festival - eleven family members, aged 5 to 69, on a three day trip to a ski resort - I'll try proper diagnosis, even if it is from my sick bed - I'm the 69, provided the answer han't already been provided by a failure :(!

So, best wishes to all forum members for a happy, healthy and successful 2013.

Mike