What size tyres do I want?

GBMUD

Chris,

I know adrian is having the same mud ingress problem on his rangie running machos on white 8 spokes.

I am running 255/75 BFG M/T's on disco steels and don't seem to have a problem - I know you are goung to say that I don't actually drive it offroad, but I do, honest :P

Not sure it is much help, but It would lead me to look at the rim rather than the tyre perhaps.

I have a set of disco steels here if you want to try them out?

Cheers

Mark

OK. I am not prepared to accept that the wheel is 100% to blame, too many other people seem to have difficulties with the new BFGs and my old style BFGs were just fine on the same rims. I will accept that the wheel is a factor in this though. Anyone think they can put their finger on where the problem lies? Is it the width of the tyre vs. the width of the rim - in this case a 7J?

Mark, I may accept your offer of the Disco rims on loan but I will need to borrow/steal/obtain some wheel spacers from somewhere to offer the same track as I get with the 8-spokes - partly as I like the way it looks and partly so that it is a fairer test. Meantime, I think I will try adding tubes to the two front tyres (the worst afflicted it seems) and see how they last puncture wise. I have a couple of greenlane and off-road trips coming up so we'll see.

Chris

My 255/85 16 BFG MT's have now done just under 12000 miles since I put them on in November last year. In that time I reckon I've only done about 350 off-road miles, with at least 300 of that green laning.

I just measured the tread and front and back are just over 14mm. The new spare is 17mm.

What do we reckon is the minimum useable tread depth off-road before there's no point in using them??

If it's 8mm I've probably got another 24,000 miles in them, if 10mm then only about another 16000 miles.

Cheers

Steve

Why Taffy?

Chris stick with the BFGs and try different rims, i run MTs on wolf rim (6.5J i think) and no problems with mud in the beads (OK once it was a problem but that was my fault)

Also although they wont look right if your doing so many road miles and towing alot ATs have alot going for them, trac edge woudl be ideal then.....

1991 Defender 90 Tdi. 1.41:1 transfer. 3.54:1 diffs. 2" lift kit

[*]I seem to tow quite a lot, although seldom VERY heavy trailers, the caravan at a little over a tonne is about the limit on a regular basis.

i run the 33"x12.50 machos on my tomcat road/off road grip is outstanding wear is acceptable no mud in rims and i tow all sorts of trailers from bike to 2ton exhbition with no probs i love them :)