Disco chassis mounts.

Boydie

Hi (again) I've ordered a full set of chassis rubbers, my Disco is 1998 vintage and the rubbers that go between the chassis and the body are the only isolators not yet replaced, the engine and gearbox and suspension ones having been done late last year. Has anyone done this and if so what are (if any) the tricks to doing it in the minimal time. I'm aware that there are quite a few (20??) so that would be 10 a side :blink: do they have to be all done at the same time, do I need to disconnect any plant (radiator comes to mind) or is there sufficient movement in the retaining bolts once the nylock nuts have been removed to avoid such hassles, again any help is gratefully recieved.

Urmm there are 5 (sets) of rubber bushes per side. have you inspected them at all? they're not that easy to remove depending on the level of corrosion your body is in... I've only ever replaced the sill mounted ones, On the camel they are all completly crushed due to the weight of the roll cage and roof rack, but this is a common thing amongst camels, the black disco I only replaced them as the actual mounts had rusted away.

If they have not split and don't look overly crushed, I wouldn't touch them until you start to see a problem.

Mav

Ok I'm being lazy as its cold and I dont want to lay under it right now.

Is there a diagram somewhere of where each mount is?

I've had it twice now on the MOT so I'm thinking its going to be a job for Landy tool No1 (grinder) come the spring and replace the mounts and bushes together.

Iain, just slacken them all off and lift the body an inch or so one side at at time or one end at a time whichever suits best, as Mav has said making sure it's properly supported - would give a nasty nip or loose a digit / big lumps of wood to spread the load, the ones really akward pair is the at the rear of the sills as i't difficult to get the long bolt out far enough. Oh - theyre an imperial size socket and spanner, but think from memory a 15mm suits. Oil them all first a few days before hand.

Igol, there's ten mounts, 5 down each side, 2 at the front at the radiator crossmember, next two under the footwells, at the back of the front inner guards, 2 on each sill, and two at the rear crossmember onder the back bumper.

Steve

Just thought I might add that there are body mounting points either side of the transfer case to the inside of the chassis rails and the seat belt anchors through the boot floor, it might be necessary to slacken or remove these to get enough leverage on the bushes, I have got to do mine as they are approx 5mm thick and should be about half inch or so!!!