Where can I trace my vehicles history??

Scooby Jim

Hi I own a 1972 '88, which I am restoring.

When I bought it I was told it was ex RAF, but I have no vehicle history at all.

Is there anywhere that I can trace it's history??

The only history I have is the V5, reg plate, and chassis number.

I know its had a LOT of work done to it in the past, like a galv chassis, and a 3.5 V8, and lots more. Also some heavy duty bumper bars all around. But I would love to know if it is indeed an RAF vehicle or not. All I do know is that under the many many coats of paint is some seriously yellow paint, which is curious to say the least.

The gaydon heritage centre will give you details based on your chassis number http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/archive-services/#.UPemovLcA6A

The chassis plate itself should tell you whether its military or not as it should have the military reg on it. Might be missing if its had lots of shiny new parts tho

Are you referring to the chassis plate in the cab, or actually on the chassis?? As the original chassis was replaced for a Galv one.

This is the chassis plate in the cab, but as you can tell its been moved, as its currently located on the drivers side seat tub.

WP_20130117_005800x742.jpg

The original chassis, if new and made to the original design, can legally bare the same identity as the old, therefor the number is the same.

Cool. On a side issue, do the people who make the replacement chassis leave a makers name somewhere on the chassis??

Yours seems to have had a lot of work done on it already, and any military plates may have been lost.

The best clue you might have at the moment is a comment on the registration document that says 'declared manufactured in ...', as this shows it wasn't registered as a Civilian vehicle soon after birth. In that case the 1972 you mention is possibly it's first year of Civilian registration.

Probably the most cost effective way to become as certain as you can be is to go online to the DVLA and download a form V888. Print, add a cheque for a fiver, snail mail to Swansea, and wait about 3 weeks. This will get you copies of all the registration documents the DVLA hold, referring to its Civilian life with previous owners. If the first one says it came from the Procurement Executive, or similar, then it may well be a military vehicle.

If you are lucky, and in my opinion it can depend on luck, or the mood of some clerk many years ago, written in the comments box may be the military number it was previously issued with.

Then it's a case of spending more money with someone else to see if they have it's military history, but getting that is less certain than getting its Civilian History, as not all records survive.

HTH

Yours seems to have had a lot of work done on it already, and any military plates may have been lost.

The best clue you might have at the moment is a comment on the registration document that says 'declared manufactured in ...', as this shows it wasn't registered as a Civilian vehicle soon after birth. In that case the 1972 you mention is possibly it's first year of Civilian registration.

Probably the most cost effective way to become as certain as you can be is to go online to the DVLA and download a form V888. Print, add a cheque for a fiver, snail mail to Swansea, and wait about 3 weeks. This will get you copies of all the registration documents the DVLA hold, referring to its Civilian life with previous owners. If the first one says it came from the Procurement Executive, or similar, then it may well be a military vehicle.

If you are lucky, and in my opinion it can depend on luck, or the mood of some clerk many years ago, written in the comments box may be the military number it was previously issued with.

Then it's a case of spending more money with someone else to see if they have it's military history, but getting that is less certain than getting its Civilian History, as not all records survive.

HTH

Well thats cool I can see the DVLA from my house on the horison lol, so I may toddle off and have a look.

As for the V5 it's looking like a Civvy as the dates are identical :(

2012-08-28-951.jpg

I posted a link above

Ah ha Heritage Centre.

But man that is expensive for what you get.

Surely they could get the files online, and allow you to do a £5 search like you can with the census records etc.

Not as if its giving any details you can`t get if you know the chassis number already, and there are no personal records either. You search using the chassis number, so I can`t see why, other than pure greed.

From reading elsewhere I think they started charging after lots of various car owners clubs applied for vehicle histories. Everything takes time and time cost money so I guess they need to charge for someone to find the info. I agree the numbers could be online for a search, and you can do that if you go in to the centre.

I think a search may well be £5 but if you want a letter of proof its more

From reading elsewhere I think they started charging after lots of various car owners clubs applied for vehicle histories. Everything takes time and time cost money so I guess they need to charge for someone to find the info. I agree the numbers could be online for a search, and you can do that if you go in to the centre.

I think a search may well be £5 but if you want a letter of proof its more

Well I may phone them up and ask them as I don`t need it officially, I just want the details. A photograph of the card would be enough.

That with the DVLA history, should sort it.

No not usually, just on the reciept for it.

Bugger.

Ah, you bought it with it?

Yep. Was on the Galv chassis with the 3.5 conversion done (not too well), and as much history as a 1 day old baby!!

Apologies for the pics, but they are worth a thousand words they say.

Here she is when I went got her home.

2012-07-23-697800x449.jpg?t=1343090465

2012-07-23-704800x444.jpg?t=1343090425

2012-07-24-757800x450.jpg?t=1343153186

2012-07-24-733800x450.jpg

2012-07-24-741800x450.jpg

2012-07-24-720800x450.jpg

2012-07-25-794800x450.jpg

Lastly these are the pics that sold it to me from the Ebay advert.

T2eC16dcE9s4PuQbBP-WmY8T60_58.jpg

KGrHqFqMEnqkqiLBBP-WmGs2J60_58.jpg

T2eC16JyEE9s5jDZckBP-WmL5Og60_58.jpg

KGrHqVh8E-voN52bBP-WmCZ-5g60_58.jpg

KGrHqRqoEnhEl7RBP-WmP6hWg60_58.jpg

And the Advert.

ADVERTsmall.jpg?t=1358628835

Text says.

TEXT.jpg?t=1358629237

• 2 weeks later...

Although its a replacement chassis, its a civilian one - the rear x-member tapers at the ends, a military one is rectangular. If it was like-for-like replacement, then its a civvy landy. Also, the bonnet isn't right for an ex-mil S3 - should have a rounded profile at the front lip. Could be a replacement as well, of course.

Although its a replacement chassis, its a civilian one - the rear x-member tapers at the ends, a military one is rectangular. If it was like-for-like replacement, then its a civvy landy. Also, the bonnet isn't right for an ex-mil S3 - should have a rounded profile at the front lip. Could be a replacement as well, of course.

Cheers buddy.

I'm leaning towards having been told porkies about the so called history, will eventually get to the bottom of it.

Military 88s did usually have the razor edge bonnet. I do have a photo of a Royal Navy 88" ragtop with a deluxe bonnet though. All 109"s had the deluxe bonnet, and it was standard on ALL station wagons (ie 88 & 109) but only optional on 88" utilities.