VNT on the cheap

bluespanner

I asked them the same question but was told they developed it with BAS and IRB. My next question was why advertise it then! No answer

I have a td5 and have a BMW/ range rover TD6 VNT turbo I am going to fit. I have had plates machined to make it fit but will cost me half vs going to a tuning company to get one + I enjoy playing with it and making stuff work

Everything of irb's comes from bas...

That's quite an ill informed quote - and very wrong....

I'd happily discuss this via PM.

And with regards to turbo's - BAS is only to sell the Turbo's I developed with Turbo Tecnics because of me ;)

Ian

Not big enough for a tdi you'll choke the engine.
the compressor is smaller than the tdi's turbo.
probably through boost pressure which is never a good idea

Excellant input there Vulcan Bomber. :SVA go away:

The 2.5 vag tdi puts out more power, torque and revs higher than a tdi.

So the turbo should be more than adequete,

Most of the vnt/vgt's fitted to cars are vacumn controlled, they operate in quite a crude fashion. more or less on and off with a little hovering at cruiseing speeds.

The control system for the vacumn is very simple, A vacumn feed to a piston type solenoid valve, one out to the turbo and a vent to atmosphere. these solenoids are nearly always 2 wire simple on-off units, complex control of the vanes is difficult with this system, Think about it how can you dim a light bulb with an on-off switch????

My day jobs sees me most days out road testing cars, interrogating them with either my bosch kts system, vagcom, or snapon diagnostic software, so i i have quite a lot of experiance with them.

The electronic controllers fall into 2 types;

hella type ones which fail, normally dramatically a lot of manufacurers initially used these, then went back to a vacumn diaphram type on later models.

the other type is siemans vdo unit that is sprung returned to the safe position, these are a lot better than the hella units and allow for much more complex control,

• 1 month later...

Without a doubt in my opinion (25 years playing proffecionally with modified engines and Turbos) the best turbo to opt for if you are going to play DIY installations is the Garrett 2559v from something like the Renault Vel-Satis etc These have the larger 25 series water cooled bearing housing and can stand higher sustained throttle openings without bearing problems etc. I was one of the first people (about 2004 surely not the first though) to fit a VV turbo to a TD5 engine and after much testing I found this unit to be far and away better than anything else tested. Initially this was fitted to a 2.5 litre engine and later to my Stroked 2.8 litre TD5 engine. Ultimately giving 265(real)bhp and 420 ftlb torque @ 1900 rpm. with a JJ Fearn chip and 2 Bar boost. Although this was rather too black for road use to be quite honest.

Try using a 2559v you won't be disappointed. !

Just bought another one myself to fit to my 110 Overlander.

A Variable Vane unit working correctly will be one of the best buys you can make for Landrover fitment! Total transformation!

Lara

PS. I use a modified pressure type progressive controll similar to the units on wastegated turbos, simple and reliable.

but turbo technics wont sell it to you, you have to buy from BAS,

Hello!

have you ever made dyno tests with VNT turbo on?

And what about VNT + enlarged Interco from Allisport? My turbo is aprox 180000km, interco is also not fresh, so i'm thinking about some tuning.

Hi Gremlin,

sure, All I did was to use a standard type boost controll capsule and fit it to work in the oposite direction to the vacuum controller, ie. to push instead of pull.

Work out on whatever unit you use what direction you need your actuater to work in. (Vanes need to be closed at low boost and open as boost increases) and rig up your boost controll to work appropriately. Getting the correct spring pressure takes a little doing as it is not the same as a wastegated unit.

I split one of my old units at the seam and made a clamp ring to bolt it back together again so I could change springs at will. One days messing will usually sort it though.

Hope that helps.

Pic here to show vane direction. Low boost setting Opening as boost increases

Suralim10.jpg

Lara

Ok got it, so if i got one of these actuators that can fitted with different spring rates than it will be easier to setup. The spring rate is what acts against boost? right? so varing the spring rate will dictate at what rate the vanes open and close according to what boost you want to have.?

Been thinking a long time of getting one fitted, its time to start collecting bits!

G