VNT on the cheap

bluespanner

Are the vanes not automatic? I had assumed they were spring loaded to a fine position and coarsened as boost pressure increased, trying to maximise turbine rpm at low egt/egv to maximise boost up to the waste gate controlled pressure. I didn't think there was much you could do to them.

Are the vanes not automatic? I had assumed they were spring loaded to a fine position and coarsened as boost pressure increased, trying to maximise turbine rpm at low egt/egv to maximise boost up to the waste gate controlled pressure. I didn't think there was much you could do to them.

Nope, most are vac controlled or better than that there electronic control. Boost controlling them often creats back pressure when at constant (cruising speeds) due to the vains not being able to open.

yup, most Vw's that im aware of use vacumn to control the vanes on there turbos

So with a microcontroller and a few other parts and sensors you could make your own ECU to intelligently control the vanes :) A sort of MegaSoottm if you like

EDIT: Maybe you could also use it to control the boost fueling of the injector pump to ....

Most of the VNT turbos out there seem to be for the 300tdi. Does anyone do one to fit the 200tdi defender engine? I think IRB do but read something somewhere about having to change the downpipe. However, since they never reply to queries, i was unable to find out if it could be fitted in the standard position and since i have a custom exhaust i would have to get custom downpipe to fit it all up.

I would assume that you could fit one that was meant for a 300tdi quite happily to the 200 assuming that there is nothing physically in the way. A number of people who fit 200 tdi's in series vehicles have used the standard 300 tdi turbo and manifold from what I have read. They are afterall very similar engines.

I have been toying with the idea of getting one of these for my 200, but as usual time is not on my side as its a daily driver and i cannot afford to stay mucking sround trying to get it to work.

Having said that, i have played around an allard VNT kit fitted to a 300 of a friend of mine. The manifold is a disco 200 item, and the turbo seems to be similar to the vw one mentioned here (could be 2.8 TGV turbo). The allard kit will happily boost the 300 over 40 psi with the vanes closed, with the actuator connected it keeps boost constant right off from idle up to the FIP governer (set at 25psi, EGT's rocket). What i have found is that with a VNT you get off idle boost, which is good but all that happens is you get quicker up to speed (FIP tweaked). So it might be wise to revise gearing to get the full benefit of a vnt, unless some one is ready to mess with the FIP governer speed.

G

PS someday i will find the time...........

Most of the VNT turbos out there seem to be for the 300tdi. Does anyone do one to fit the 200tdi defender engine? I think IRB do but read something somewhere about having to change the downpipe. However, since they never reply to queries, i was unable to find out if it could be fitted in the standard position and since i have a custom exhaust i would have to get custom downpipe to fit it all up.

I believe Allisport / BAS have the 200tdi defender VNT turbos availabe ready to ship,

out of curiosity, do you work for/represent them tuning companies you mentioned above?

and either way, the vnt turbo kit is expensive when its something that isn't compulsory. :(

I have a large selection of Allisport products on my challenge truck along with the VNT turbo that was supplied by BAS,

it could be described as a fortunate position of being involved in product development & testing for Allisport,

Or do they just source from from Turbo Technics as BAS does ?

Talking of turbo technics, it would make sense for folks to go straight to them wouldn't it? Just looked at their td5 turbo and its £100 cheaper from them than the same unit from BAS.