freelander really needs a lowerer gear!!

theoptimist

Hi guys have brought this up before, but after my recent trip up a friends wood that's situated on a steep hill. I have lifted the freebie 2 inch with mud tyres, but found as trying to get up a steep hill where there was compacted snow, my tyres just wanted to spin, however my friends with low gear boxes, would crawl up fine on the same tyres. It feels like the gearing just wants to spin the wheel rather than slowly crawl, one option that may be possible, which we have discussed before was to remove the first gear and replace with a lower gear, However i like the idea of fitting a transfer box from a vitara or something don't know how possible this is. as anyone done or attempted something similar, i admit not all helped by me by putting 225 75 16 on instead of 215 65 16, however this was to get over another problem, which was ride height she's roughly 3 and half to 4 inches higher now. but at a cost of upping the gearing, however in the fresh snow there wasn't a problem, and with sticky muck, there is no problem so far. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas on how to solve the gearing problem they would be much appreciated,

Many thanks

theoptimist

That would be quite a challenge! In the Freelander the front diff is built into the IRD, which is mounted transversly, just like the gearbox. Most other transfer boxes are mounted lengthwise, with separate props to the diffs in each axle. I don't see how you could adapt one of those, without essentially redesigning the entire drive train.

Tricky. I'd look at a hydraulically powered crawler that drives into the gearbox somehow, running from a pump on the engine. You could split the FL prop and insert a Vitara/SJ transfer box to act as the clutch for the motor, the bolt a hyd motor to it to feed drive into the existing drivetrain with the main gearbox in neutral.

Downsides:

- Space

- Weight

- It would be slooooooow

You could possibly put a splitter in front of the main gearbox but there's not a lot of free space in a TD4 engine bay to move the gearbox around.

I would suggest a winch would be a more efficient and useful addition.

I had those size tyres on my FL1 and had no real issues getting up hills as long as I could maintain a bit of speed. If the hill was steep but required slow work the gearing just could not manage it. Your Traction Control should have handles the wheel spin - my TC worked well.

I also contemplated what you are planning and came up with two options.

1 cut the IRD in half so that only the rear PTO section remains in what remains of the housing and then welding a plate to seal the drivers side of the IRD - this means what you left is basically a 90 degree drive. Remove the VCD and replace with a LT 230 transfer case and make up a shaft to join the tfr case to the PTO. Install a Freelander rear diff on the drivers side of the IRD and modify the shaft that originally provided drive to the left hand wheel through the gearbox so the new front could drive it and connect a modified drive shaft to the drivers side of the new diff to the drivers hub.

Yes it can be done but why bother.

Alternatively you could just mount your body on a Disco 1 or 2 chassis and running gear - has been done.

Garry

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, as you said garrycol, it could be done, but seems excessive my tc works brilliantly in pretty much everything, but it seems where it fails is steep hills covered in compacted snow. Looking in to a lower first gear talk to a gearbox restorer, to see if he can help. Looking into the options this seems the cheapest way to go with out having to overly modify. I thought of a auto, my mother has the 3 door td4 auto, I have driven it a few times but prefer the manual as don't feel as in control. I'll keep you all posted on the lower first gear, it will probs mean starting will be different to traffic light races with boy racers. but worth it with the amount of off roading i do.

many thanks

theoptimist