Spare wheel fitting inside Defender 90

jameshub

I did it on the first 90 that I had, but I took my spare off the rear door.

The official parts needed are here; http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/90/10_trim_seats_paint_extras_p924-1042.pdf on page 1017. But you might be able to do it with other bits.

The only thing I found was that with a 205 R16 wheel inside it wasn't too bad, you could get into the back from the front to reach stuff, but with a bigger 235/85 R16 it was very tight. I eventually put the spare back on the door.

I have had a couple of 90 truck cabs with the wheels on the cab bulkhead. The proper carrier doesn't really hold the wheel very well and both mine were nearly new. they rattle like mad, bounce when you go over bumps and end up bending the brackets and one tore the alloy on the seat bulkhead.

lie it on the floor between the wheelboxes & put a sheet of marine ply or alloy over it, flat floor & spare out of sight but accesible when needed.

the XD/Wolf side mount spare bracket fits to the internal roll hoop & bolts through the side panel, plus you'd need an extending mirror arm on that side.

No, i dont have windows in the side.......i'm liking your thinking.....you mean use the Wolf attachment?

Where can i get one from?

Wolf was a thought, although not being Military it looks like you can't do it - I'd believe Ralph! I'm sure it would be possible to fabricate a frame though, without looking, perhaps braced against the gutter, some spreader plates below the wheelbox, something along those lines perhaps. I think Paddocks sell Wolf mirrors. Just strikes me it would be in keeping with the Military theme, assuming its still Military?

Otherwise as Ralph says. I'm flooring over the wheelboxes in The 109 for a camping space, I know someone who's floored over his 110 for storage space. It does add 8" for the dog to jump up though....she's not going to like that....ah well!