Clutch master cyclinder - which one?

Just looking for a new master clutch cyclinder.

I noticed that trawling online there were a couple of options. Does anyone know who the OEM is for the master cylinder? Is it TRW Lucas? I am assuming the cheap (~£10) is the Britpart carp. But then I have also seen branded TRW Lucas and also a Delphi (from Allmakes). I'd rather get the best possible - both are generally between 20 and 20 quid. Any opinions or is it 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Also does the master cylinder gasket come with the cyclinder or should I buy one just in case. I also have a new clutch pedal box asssembly so once I have the master cyclinder I'll be doing both. Can anyine forsee anything else I'll need?

Cheers

Additional (sorry), having delved deeper it seems that I can get the TRW Lucas for about £20 inc VAT (e.g Island4x4 http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/clutch-diesel-incl-c-1_2320_2325.html) whereas the Delphi version seems harder to locate and is nearer £40 (but comes with a 2 year warranty - warranties aren't much good to me especially for a master cylinder)

Thanks Diablo. I've never had a problem with Bearmach parts either so the cheapskate within is considering the bearmach own brand cylinder for not much more than a tenner. I just detest fitting poor quality parts for things like this so if Lucas is the OEM and I can get that for £20 then maybe thats the option.

Personally I'd go for the TRW/Lucas part, reason behind my saying this is because I've tried all sorts of cylinders over the near 20 years of having land rovers and I've found the best for me is the TRW/Lucas part as they seem to last a lot longer than any other make,

I am seriously considering getting a master and slave cylinder sleeved in either brass or stainless steel as apparently they'll last for a very long time, This is because the aluminium cylinder apparently goes porous and ruins not only the wall of the cylinders but also you can't rebuild the cylinder because if you were to try to then you'd ruin the rubber pieces inside the cylinders and sleeving them will stop that

Interesting. They are the sort of parts that in todays day and age should be built to last (say compared similar systems used in the marine industry that last for years and are easily servicable).

Is there a marine version that is easily swapped? I've heard of people (on this forum, somewhere) using other clutch master cylinders...

Is there a marine version that is easily swapped? I've heard of people (on this forum, somewhere) using other clutch master cylinders...

I should make more enquiries as I work offshore but thats not my area. I definitely see the same concepts in engine rooms of smaller vessels though

Thanks all again. The TRW Lucas I felt is the best choice. Well priced and OEM.

Nearly finished fitting the new clutch pedal box assembly, master and slave cylinder - all in all not as bad as I thought.

I'm assuming the clutch adjustment is as easy as the workshop manual states? Any secret top tips that I should know about?

Thanks all. All fitted. The pin/trunnion pivot rod that the pedal swings on was completely shagged. Think it had been stiff since my purchase date and only in the latter few months did the whole pedal start sticking. Anyway I cant believe what a difference it is driving. I've come to the realisation that I have been driving a defender with a stiff clutch for ever. As the only Landrovers I had driven prior to my defender were series vehicles - I think I had "asssumed" that my clutch was normal. NOw I am bewildered by how smooth the clutch pedal action is - almost like driving a car.

Note that despite being able to push the pedal down with my foot before my refit when the pedal box was out my arm strength couldn't move the pedal so it was pretty darn stiff.

Thanks again for the help.