Standard ball hitch height?

bluespanner

From the Witter web site;

The million Euro question! The EC Directive 94/20/EC states that the towball height should be between 350 and 420mm with the vehicle in the ‘laden’ condition. Laden condition may have been defined (by the manufacturer) as either fully laden (the maximum technically permitted mass of the vehicle as shown in the vehicle handbook), or, conventionally laden (defined as 68.5kg per specified passenger seat and 6.5kg of luggage per specified passenger and located in the centre of the luggage storage area). Alternatively, the towball may be at the height or height range specified by the vehicle manufacturer in the homologation documents and possibly the vehicle handbook. Not so straightforward!

When I was pratting about attempting to make something for a tow ball hanging from a nato hitch, I just measured the heights of the few arounfd the car park and took an average, this would probably be more helpful if I could remember the numbers or hadn't abandoned the project in favour of a normal 90 mount...

I don't know whether there is such a figure for normal cars, but with a vehicle such as a Landrover that can tow much heavier trailers, I have found it can be the trailer hitch height that varies according to trailer size.

IIRC my ancient twin axle Ifor rides best with a ball height of about 19" (482mm). An unladen twin axle can rattle horribly if the hitch is not spot on.

The little tin boxes you can buy at Halfrauds need a much lower ball height.