Yet more adventures.

Simon_CSK

My Disco has had yet more adventures.

On Monday night I was caught in the snow on black ice. As I approached a 90 degree bend I had no response from the steering or the brakes. As I was approaching armco I was happy that I managed to get some traction which started me round the corner but once started would not stop.

The end result was I ran over the top of a small tree before ending up on my side in a very boggy ditch. After 3 hours I was home with the help of Recovery who pulled me out of the water filled ditch.

The car started easily and has run fine since the seats are wet from water ingress but most things are in order. The recovery driver said I was very lucky as I has stopped on a very big sponge. Apart from the bumper a dent on the door which will push out and a broken indicator I have no real damage. I am left with an electrical issue.

The electrical issue I have concerns the central locking and the interior lamps. The central locking will not lock the doors but will open them all. The light stay on all the time. Does anyone have a clue what the problem is I would guess that there is a control box that has been flooded and needs either replaced or dried out but don't have a clue where to start.

Assuming it's the D2 in your signature, the central locking is controlled by relays in the IDM which is a module in the back of the fusebox. It's a common casualty with windscreen leaks, and if your seats have got wet with the water level in a ditch, that will almost certainly have as well as it's about the same height and under the steering wheel. You might get away with drying it out but I wouldn't have high hopes. Meanwhile, remove all power from the unit till you get time to look at it, or it will go green and furry very quickly with moisture and electricity together.

I'd agree with the above - it sounds like the ECU has suffered from the wet. Removing it and drying it out gently may work, but if that fails, try Remotekey.co.uk - I got your type of ECU for retrofit to my RRC from them, and they activated several options from a list at my choice that LR simply disabled. Good price and service.

I thought you fitted the front tow hitch for your winch .... I take it you could self recover ?

Unfortunately not had nothing to attach to other than armco on the other side of the road which would have been dangerous. Discretion was the better part of valour.

Assuming it's the D2 in your signature, the central locking is controlled by relays in the IDM which is a module in the back of the fusebox. It's a common casualty with windscreen leaks, and if your seats have got wet with the water level in a ditch, that will almost certainly have as well as it's about the same height and under the steering wheel. You might get away with drying it out but I wouldn't have high hopes. Meanwhile, remove all power from the unit till you get time to look at it, or it will go green and furry very quickly with moisture and electricity together.

It is my D2 yes. What does the IDM look like? The fuse box could have been in water certainly the engine ECU had no problems.

Engine ECU is more or less sealed for a short dip, the IDM isn't. It is just part of the fuse box so if you take out the module with all the fuses in, it's inside that.

Thanks to all.

After a couple of days the central locking, alarm and the interior lights started working normally and everything is now back to normal. Now just need to sort out the chassis.