MOT List Done, Then They Added More !

I worked my way through the list I got from the MOT and took it back a few weeks later only to have several more corrosion spots added to the list plus a failed hand brake.

The MOT was carried out by another person at the MOT centre who got me to take it back a couple of days later for VOSA to look at because all the things he found were missed by his colleague three weeks before !

Anyway. Looks like I'll be on the grinder / welder again in my spare time for the next couple of weeks.

:(

Obviously a pr**k who hates his work mate and you just happen to land up on the receiving end.

At the end of the day you should land up with a stronger chassis – take the positives out of it and move to another garage.

If it had gone back for retest within 10 days then a partial retest could have been done I believe, then you would not have got the extras ....

EDIT: It seems partial retest is only available for certain failure items (of which chassis corrosion doesn't appear to be one)

If it had gone back for retest within 10 days then a partial retest could have been done I believe, then you would not have got the extras ....EDIT: It seems partial retest is only available for certain failure items (of which chassis corrosion doesn't appear to be one)

You can still fail on a partial retest for items other than those it originally failed on.

At the end of the day as much as some of some of the Tosh in the mot is pointless, if your chassis is bad enough to fail then perhaps be happy it been spotted now, and not mentioned in your coroners report as a contributory factor in your death?

I've called vosa on myself once !

I volunteered to call in vosa on behalf of customers very often

And once I called vosa in to request that they put a destruction order on the car due to horrific rot, my vosa AE was local and obliged me.

In my opinion and experience vosa are actually close to a test stations closest ally, not the enemy

I had this happen a couple of years ago when I took a 90 for a mot at a halfords test centre. Failed on a few points, did the work, returned the car for retest a few days later.

A very apologetic chap came through from the workshop and said they also needed to fail it on worn axle bushes, a rear light not working and some play in the steering, which hadn't been picked up.

He then went on to say they'd sacked the tester, and if I didn't mind waiting an hour they would fix everything for free plus refund the test fee : )

Destruction order? I never knew they existed.Always interesting to hear how it works behind the scenes so to speak.
I'm not sure that's the correct name for them, but only Vosa Ae's have the power to issue one, they give the vehicle presenter 14days to submit vehicle in road worthy condition or surrender the logbook

My experience was pre mot computerisation, on a very very rotten cavalier cabriolet, the owner was a knob complaining that i'd poked all the holes and dissolved the chassis rails! And he insisted that he would be taking it somewhere else to get it passed.

I called in my area Ae, as I remember he was that impressed with the state of the car and the blokes attitude, he issued the notice, called the police and their recovery agent and waited for him to attempt to drive it away. They hooked him up with some nice bracelets and a trip to the impound for his car.

I went to this place after being told not to go as they were very thorough. I reckon i got the thorough guy the second time. I was a little bit annoyed thinking that I had gotten all the work done though. I was going to attack the rest of the corrosion when the weather improved but will have to get my finger out now. I will take it back to the same place again.

At least I didn't get a destruction order :)

I don't see why one employee would report anying to vosa about the competance of another colleague, after all, the points system only applies to the station as a whole, not to any individual. If he did that too many times, the station would be suspended from testing and he would be out of a job.

I don't see why one employee would report anying to vosa about the competance of another colleague, after all, the points system only applies to the station as a whole, not to any individual. If he did that too many times, the station would be suspended from testing and he would be out of a job.

I didn't know about a point system. I did wonder why he would 'grass up' a work colleague. Are VOSA able to interrogate the computer records i.e. might they have noticed a the same vehicle having markedly different MOT failures within weeks ?

BTW I was not charged for the second MOT.