Terratrip fitting

JST

I can't speak for the Terratrips but I wanted to fit a Brantz trip to a Discovery 2 so I bought the small electronic conversion board - about £50 with P&P.

Following the instructions I fitted the unit but it wouldn't keep the trip at 0 when the vehicle was at rest. I had been warned it might no work properly and it would add about 1/10 of a mile per 10 minutes of time while stationary - and, I assume, whilst on the move.

The answer for me was to change the rear housing on the transfer box for a Discovery 1 type and use a standard 300 Tdi electronic spedo output unit - I think it is the black coloured one with three pins - It has worked perfectly ever since.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter, thats what i am after, i have the DIS (?) box

can you remember which pins go where and how you connected it up. i am running the 3 wire transducer too.

To be perfectly honest no - it was so long ago I've forgotten. I think I used the standard Discovery 1 plug and a part of the harness and then used a three way connector to join every thing together. From the transducer you have a live pin, an earth pin and a pin for the pulse - exactly what a trip needs, but I can't for the life of me remember which pin is which. I can have a look under the car tomorrow evening for you if that is any help?

Regards,

Peter.

I have a Terratrip 1 (the most basic model) in my Td5 Defender. One of the options is (was?) to buy a sensor from them that usually fits near the wheel hub. It is magnetic and senses when a bolt head from the hub goes past. Of course if you spin that wheel it miscounts, so a better way is to fit it to the back of the gear box, and to count revolutions of the propshaft. In order to do that you need to unbolt one of the propshaft bolts, and fit a piece of metal about 2 inches long to the propshaft - basically sticking right out/ (I actually fitted two - one at each side - it undoubtedly does not need "balancing" as it is right beside a bearing, but I felt better). Then as the propshaft turns, the metal arm gioes past the sensor, and it registers a count. The calibration on the basic Terratrip 1 isn't all that flexible, so I found it would over count, so I bent one of the arms out of the way by about 1mm, so it could only see one of the two arms as they went past, and bingo. Dead easy. The most difficult bit was unbolting the propshaft bolts. To mount it to the back of the gearbox I made a little bracket out of the same metal I used to make the little arms. (From memory it was some bumper metal where I had made a cut out to install my winch - as Bob the Builder says - reduce, reuse, recycle. All that, and no need to muck around with splicing into the Td5's electronic speedo feed.

I have a Terratrip fitted to my Series 1 1998 300TDi. I long ago removed the anti-lock braking and the Terratrip sensor fitted nicely into the hole left with the removal of the sensor, I fitted it to the rear Right hand wheel. It was easy to remove the castelated wheel revealing the retaining bolt heads, all that remained was to adjust the terratrip sensor 1.5mm off the heads and araldite it so it never moves. The Terratrip has done over 4000 kilometres without missing a beat, easy to re-calibrate even on the move and with the Detroit Locker differential has never looked like being out of whack.

• 4 weeks later...

Pictures please ?

Maybe I should post my own, since I'm in the process of fitting a new 101plus, with a 4mm "wheel probe". I will be fitting the wheel probe to the front output shaft of the transfer case.

This is a closeup of my bracket:

post-21003-0-76238800-1365985626_thumb.jpg

This is how it will be mounted

post-21003-0-79463500-1365985680_thumb.jpg

Here is an old 0,5mm probe, but you get the point.

i am going for the speedo option and will take a feed of the speedo wire. anyone know which of the 3 wires it is? i guess the others are only earth and 12v ign anyway?

Dont you need a splitter ?

just got around to this and am a little stuck:

i have 2 terratrips (202Plus V3s) i wish to fit to a def electronic speedo (it physically has 3 wires into the speedo transducer)

I also have a DSI which i have wired as per the basic top picture and the 3 wire manufactures picture further down (2nd from end).

1. am i right in assuming that Pin 2 is probe 1 (-)

with the 202 set to probe 1 i do not get any readings on the 202 with wheel rotation (speedo works though)

2. Do i need to wire a (+) to Pin 1 on the Terratrip?

3. Am i right in assuming the Def works as a 3 wire installation or do i need to use the bottom DIS diagram and link those top two pins on the DIS?

4. other than the following Pins on the 202 connected do i need any more?
Pin 11 Earth
Pin 7 - perm live
Pin 2 - to the DIS box.

Terratrips.pdf