Where would my tyres end up?

Bowie69

Trying to work this out, Currently have:

http://www.firstfour.co.uk/item/2150353/modular-wheel-black-16x8 (or silver equivalent from D44 originally)

+8mm offset, no spacers.

Looking at some 16x6.5 'Wolf' rims, which are apparently 20.6mm offset (+ or - I don't know!), complicated by the fact they have beadlocks installed on the outer face.

So... where would the outer edge of the rim come to when comparing the two on the vehicle?

I've searched for info on this (hence how I got 20.6mm), but coming a bit stuck on direct comparisons/ or even trying to work it out.

All help gratefully received! :)

Pete.

I guess it'll also depend on what size / width tyres you've got ?

Am i correct in guessing that a wolf wheel is 6.5" wide. But you've got a beadlock on the outer edge, so it's now approx 7" wide (1/2" (12mm) for the edge). It would also now change the offset from +20 to +26mm. (i.e. 12mm / 2 = +6mm)

Have i done that right ?

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

http://kgm.tiwing.com/calcs/offsetcalc.htm

I guess it'll also depend on what size / width tyres you've got ?

Am i correct in guessing that a wolf wheel is 6.5" wide. But you've got a beadlock on the outer edge, so it's now approx 7" wide (1/2" (12mm) for the edge). It would also now change the offset from +20 to +26mm. (i.e. 12mm / 2 = +6mm)

Have i done that right ?

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

http://kgm.tiwing.com/calcs/offsetcalc.htm

It would have changed from 20.6 - 6 = 14.6

So the modulars make the track 6.6 wider per side than the beadlockered wolfs. The outer edge of the modulars are 19.3 mm further outboard, because they are wider. I reckon.

Daan

The 20.5mm offset would mean centre line of the wheel would be 12.5mm further in (closer to the vehicle) than the 8mm offset wheel, and the rim is about 38mm narrower so 38 / 2 = 19mm, so the outer edge of the rim would be about 31.5mm further in under the arch, I think.

I don't really know anything about bead locks so can't help with that but if you say about 12.5mm for the beadlock, the rim would be about 19mm further in to the arch, if that makes any sense what so ever.

Hope this helps a bit

Dave

Have asked James on D44 ;)

I guess the measurement I ought to ask for is the inner mounting face to outer face of beadlock ring, then add 3/4"(are these standard?) on for the tyre bead...? Main reason for asking is the truck is not here at the moment, and won't get to see it until the weekend at the very earliest...

Other calculations look good, not much difference, may need to adjust stops very slightly to compensate, at worst case. I don't really want spacers!

When I get measurements or even get them I'll update :)

Cheers for help so far :)

Pete.

OK, head spinning a bit, actually managed to get the to truck today to measure stuff up...

My thinking is...

Modulars

Outer edge of the wheel (excluding small lip) is at 93.6mm from face of hub ( (8*25.4)/2 - 8). Backspacing is therefore (8 * 25.4) - 93.6 = 109.6mm.

Wolf Rims

Outer edge of wheel (excluding small lip) is at 62mm from face of hub ( (6.5*25.4)/2 - 20.6). Backspacing is therefore (6.5 * 25.4) - 62 = 103.1mm.

Complicated then by the beadlock... this is assumed to be 6mm, welded to the outer edge of the wheel, then the tyre bead sits on this, then the beadlock ring on the outside of the rim. For the purpose of this calculation, I think we need to include the width of the tyre bead, which I measured at 20mm on a spare tyre and the thickness of the two beadlock rings as well, as this mimics the outer edge of a normal rim.

So we add on to the 62mm measurement above: 62 + 6 (b/l ring) + 20 (tyre bead) + 6 (b/l ring) -3mm (estimated squash of bead) = 91mm.

Compared to the 93mm above, this is very very close.

So comparing a 16x8J +8 Modular to a 16x6.5J +20.6 Wolf rim with a beadlock we have:

Backspace Frontspace(?)

Modular 109.6 93.6

Wolf +B/L 103 91

Difference -6.6 -2.6

So due to the narrowness of the Wolf rim, I get 6.6mm more clearance on the inside compared to the Modular, and the outside the rim outer edge is 2.6mm further under the arch.

I think this would be similar to a 7.6" wheel with a +5.5 offset. :scratcheshead:

I think I have that right, any comments?

Many thanks :)

Pete.