Colchester Student DRO

zim

Evening,

I have an old colchester student and was wondering what they're like to add a DRO system to ?

I know a few others on here have students, have you got DRO ?

This system looks pretty cheap :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milling-and-Lathe-DRO-Linear-Scale-Kit-/170994466144?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&var=&hash=item27d0107d60

I'd be after a 2-axis.

Any suggestions ?

This is only for home use.

Cheers

Gordon

Got a triumph 2000 with an old mitutoyo dro. The linear transducers look pretty much the same with the armoured cables, but you need to mount them out the way as much as possible and mount them rigidly and square to avoid wear. I've never managed to damage mine so can take a pic of the locations if it would help, I know its not the same lathe but they're much of a muchness :)

When I was looking for a DRO for my mill I spoke with these guys - very helpful and they mention the Student on their homepage.

I didn't end up buying a DRO as I sold the mill (long story!) so can't comment on their products.

I had a dro fitted last year to our student 2500. Bought the dro from xyz machine tools as a new take off from a machine going proto trak.

I then had it fitted by a guy from machine-dro.

It was an Easson DRO. And worth every penny!

My Student 1800 has an old Sony system fitted to it, and the work 1800 has an anilam fitted. I'd never be without it now, it makes it soooo much quicker when doing more than one-offs, or even when turning from large diameter to a small, a flanged shaft for example. Lengths are a doddle with a readout too.

Of course...you could always go CNC with Mach3.....