Rear Shocks. What make????

Guys, I've had a knocking sound in the back of the truck now for quite some time, I have replaced every bush in the truck, and still got a knocking sound, I think that I may have finally found out what it is, near side rear shock is very bouncy, so needs replacing, (yes in pairs I know) what do the Forum massive advise as the best option, fit standard ones again, fit performance ones, longer ones, choices choices, Truck is a 2003 Td5 90, not usually carrying to much weight , and only occasionally towing. And do you think this will cure my knocking sound Cheers. Spike.

I have very good experience with Koni.

I've installed them 3 or 4 years ago. And they've seen a lot.

I use koni raid - they are more powerfull than standard. Maybe for 90 they will be a bit firm.

Fedback about terrafirma from my friends was not very good - lower shock mount was cracked.

OME also had some troubles with lower rod

The orange-painted Konis are good. I run them on my 'classic' road-car - they have survived ten years of road- and track-day duty.

Bilstein are also good: My Defender 90 runs Bilsteins all-round and they are really good at controlling the 'steering-snatch' effect when you catch a pothole with the front wheel on the inside of a bend. They also smoothed-out the 'snaking' problem when towing a big trailer at naughty speeds.

--Tanuki

does anyone know how a koni compares to OME, with regards to the firmness? I went from procomp to OME for the front, this gave much more control in cornering, but slightly firmer. I now need a shock for the rear which is a bit firmer than Procomp, but less firm then OME. I use pin to pin at the rear, but in vertical position.

Daan

does anyone know how a koni compares to OME, with regards to the firmness? I went from procomp to OME for the front, this gave much more control in cornering, but slightly firmer. I now need a shock for the rear which is a bit firmer than Procomp, but less firm then OME. I use pin to pin at the rear, but in vertical position.

Daan

I have OME all round on my 90 Daan, and they have made it so much more pleasant to drive on the road. Much firmer but not lost any travel offroad :). As yours are vertical it might mean they are a bit firm for you though :unsure:

Now I have no stabilizator bars and in cornering they do much better compaing to standard.

I can turn at higher speed onroad - and no critical angles.

Plus raid have model that fit both standard and lifted trucks. First i've installed ammos and in year new springs.

They do very good with heavy car load.

• Terrafirma Big Bore are garbage this I can say for sure.
  • My Bilsteins, one broke the other leaks
  • Armstrong - going strong (and they are really! cheap)

Personally I'd spend a few pounds and replace them as often as you like. Get good OME ones. As mmgemini (and others) say if you can't afford Koni get some OEM (genuine) ones. The OEM / G ones are MUCH cheaper.

I now have a set of Boge Automatic in spares and really want to put them on.....however my rears are not yet full knackered. Also nowhere in Land Rover literature does it say you need to put longer shocks on,,, no matter what springs you have.

However I've fitted lowered mounts in the rear so I don't have to worry about longer shocks which are nearly impossible to get when overlanding. I'm riding high even carrying 2960kg with 130 double spings. So if you need longer shocks and can't be arsed spending the money just get some lowered mounts and standard OEM shocks. You might need to change bump stops.