Water pumps

Sorry if this has been done to death but I have searched through this and other forums. I'm looking for the best place to buy a new water pump for my 300tdi. What I'd picked up on is that some places were supplying brands which are less reliable then others. I would appreciate an up to date heads up on what brand and who to buy from please?

The pulley looks to have sheared pretty well off on mine taking the belt out too. Might this suggest that something else might have cause the failure eg tensioner? I wanted to have a go at replacing it myself but can't decide from what I've read, whether it's going to be a nightmare or not LOL. Also, do I best get a viscous spanner to get the fan off as well?

Thanks guys :)

If you have to replace the pump (and you do) you are better getting a set of 3 new water pump pulley long bolts, and a 'P' gasket as well, and going the extra bit and replace the gasket, which lives behind the pump.There is an Uncle Les article in the tech archive http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=7547, but it is very straightforward unless you have trouble extracting the old pump bolts, and tbh there is no way of knowing till you try. Odds are you'll damage the P gasket seal while replacing the pump. As the bolts screw into aluminium, generally it's better to crack the bolts if possible while things are warm - probably not an option for you. I smeared bolt threads lightly with copper grease to try to keep water out. A viscous spanner is always a good idea to have, it makes loosening it rather easier, though I'm pretty sure you can manage the water pump with the fan on.

Sorry, can I just ask, if the pulley has pretty much sheared off like on mine, would I need to be looking at possibly a new belt tensioner too? I don't know how old the pump was but it may be not so old looking at the casting.

While you've got the front of the engine in bits, it makes sense to replace any tensioners irrespective of how they may feel.

They're cheap, your time isn't.

Same goes for all the belts - reassemble with new ones and you know the job's good for the next 50,000 miles.

Hi mate the advice is, on certain jobs (they all range in difficulty)if its easy and cheap chance your arm(unless safety critical)if you really dont want to do it twice (and who would really) buy genuine

good luck

Wow - I'm glad I found this thread. I was planning on buying a QH water pump, since I read in another thread that QH was the OEM part. It seemed to make sense to me - since it was priced right at the top end of aftermarket (double the price of the "cheap" stuff).

I was searching to find out how the Bearmach supplied QH differed from the Britpart QH, since LRDirect has a 3 UKP difference between them. With QH in receivership - warranty is meaningless. I doubt I'll be able to use a warranty (since I'm 8,000 KM from the UK) - but I'd like the option, just in case.

Based on what I read above - I'll be choosing the Allmakes parts...

http://www.paddockspares.com/peb500090g-water-pump-and-gasket-oe-supplier-300tdi.html

Airtex is the oem. The one I got from the main dealers was airtex. Fitted after two after markets failed in less than 3000 miles!

Surprisingly the dealer was not that much more expensive.

Annoying thing is I only changed out the original as it had a small amount of play and I was replacing the p gasket so it had to come off anyway.

Yes, though an Airtex one I fitted lasted less than 2 years (8000 miles) , I had a bought a spare (QH) and that is on now, after the bearing broke up in the Airtex and threw the belt off and coolant everywhere. I'd say, for what it costs, not a bad idea to have one on the shelf, as they break at the damndest of moments.