Measuring Castor

How do you measure castor?

And what angles are considered acceptable, what is best case?

I'm in the process of setting up some suspension links and as such have the chance to build in some castor increase or reduction, I'm not intending to cut the axle casing so I'll be working within the restrictions of diff angle

The only DIY way I know is to measure the wheel camber angle at steering left and right lock, and then get the calculator out.

I was never able to get results I believed closer than +/- 0.5 degree but that's more than close enough.

Digital angle gauge?

I like lots of caster, I try to build in between 8 and 15 degrees,

Lots of benefits, more steering lock because the tyres turn under the suspension arms, much more preside feel to steering On the road, makes for a better drive on big unbalanced off-road tyres.

If the bolt heads are clean and undamaged, and both bolts are the same, then measuring with the phone across the swivel pin retaining bolts will suffice. You do need to take in to account the angle at which the car is parked, including slope of ground, use of ramps or jacks and so on.

When I'm actually doing something interesting I'll start a thread, I don't think it'll be far enough from stock for the special projects section tho.

Does anyone know what the standard castor is on a rover axle, and also on TLC80 and Patrol Y61?

All LR live beam axled vehicles have a standard castor angle of 3 degrees.
Whilst all of them may have been designed on paper to have 3° castor,

I can assure you that in practice no 2 vehicles have the same caster and some even have differing amounts side to side,

I'm sure Lewis can remember that 130 I castor corrected the axle case on, that had a 4° difference from one side to the other!!

Does anyone know what the standard castor is on a rover axle, and also on TLC80 and Patrol Y61?
I have measured my Y60 I have 4° of caster, and without my ome steering damper it is unpleasant to drive

From memory tlc80's have even less, neutral rings a bell, the only tlc80 front axle I have has no standard brackets to measure off so I measured diff tilt - caster difference that was 9°

On my pajero (on tlc80's) I set the caster to 7°, this would drive quite nicely without a steering damper.