high pitched squeal/rubbing noise

Hard to describe really. sounds a little like when you get a stone trapped in the brakes.

Not consistent at all, randomly happens, generally at lower speeds/gears.

Worked out it is coming from the rear last night, so jacked up the osr wheel and spun the thing whilst under it. Got a very high pitched and loud twang sort of noise, and it seemed to be coming from the prop. But, again, it doesn't happen regularly and I only heard it once.

Left my prop bolt tool at Dad's so that's tonight's job, but any ideas? UJs seemed ok (though getting the prop off will tell). No vibration like you get associated with them going either.

All I can think of are UJs, something to do with the diff (there is a bit of play), or perhaps the prop splines are starting to go and the noise is them jumping?

I'd be looking at the UJs closely. With the hand brake on jack a rear wheel up and move the wheel back and forth while looking at the UJs on the rear prop, it's sometimes easier to see the play. Or if there are two of you grab the UJ in your hand while the other person rocks the wheel back and forth.

I had the same sort of noise, not constant, only at certain speeds, sounded like the fan belt tensioner bearing was going, that sort of squeak, traced it to the rear UJ, front prop, one journal was pretty loose the other 3 appeared ok, replaced it, silence.

Well, a proper investigation has revealed that it is the usual suspect: UJ

But it never rains, it pours: the cup is moving around within the yoke, so I suspect the yoke is shot too, so a new prop needed.

And when I took the front of the prop off (ie the handbrake end), a load of oil Mildly miffed out of the area, so that seal is shot too.

Joy of joys.

Possibly, not heard of it before, but the UJ does seem pretty loose. The internal part of the UJ isn't moving as the cup that side is so loose.

There is also a bit of play in the splines, which would be nice to remove.

Is there any difference in the early props? mine is part FRC7732, but what's the difference between that and say frc8392 does anyone know?

Well there might not be quite a couple of mm, but certainly a fair bit.

I've ordered some glue and a prop, so we shall try the glue with a new UJ and see what it's like. If it's no use, the new prop can go on.