Think I need a new head gasket

So my defender is (allot of things but):

Down on power (I tweaking the idle to help, but to no avail)

Loosing oil (slowly)

Loosing Water (Quickly, after about 90km its almost out)

Got oil around the engine, where the gasket is

On idle it sits at about 20 psi pressure

So, does a 300 Tdi gasket fit on a 2.8 TGV?

Does this sound like it is a gasket?

It would be pretty strange to have an oil and coolant leak at the same time on the head gasket.

Do a pressure test and look for the coolant leak.

Check for coolant in oil and oil in coolant.

Where is the oil leak around the head? Not sure on a 300TDI, but on a 200, there is only one oil passage on the right front corner. Edit: Having a look at a 300TDI, it appears to be the same. Looks like 8 coolant ports and one oil port through the gasket.

Oil on the engine could be a leaky rocker gasket, but with the other things you are saying then it may be a head gasket problem. Is the water system presssurising? Is there not visible signs of water leak at all? To be losing that amount of water I would expect you would see something. Try putting some talc around the pipework and the header tank to see if you can see any streaks in it after a run.

Bet thing will be to remove the head and have a look. I am not sure about the gasket fitting though, but I thought these engines were heavily based on the 300Tdi so I would imagine it will fit.

• 3 weeks later...

Im not getting any pressure, but, Yeah, ok.

It's gotten easier to spot now that water is leaking from a seal somewhere around the head gasket at the front and pissing over the floor when the engine is hot.

It's not the water pump seal, but it does just look like the head gasket but it's hard to pinpoint exactly where.

Is the oil just under the head towards the front of the engine on the left side of the vehicle. engine ?

If yes

Check the inlet manifold for a broken gasket. Inlet manifold to cylinder head...

As for the water....I haven't a clue.

Must be nice to have such a great oil pressure on tick over..I struggle to make 14lb.......

Oil is creeping from that side.

I have taken the air filter bracket off and that has revealed that oil has been leaking from there a little.

It does not look like it's coming from the inlet manifold, but it does look a bit messy, I can take it off but doe I need to take the injector off to get to it?

Almost got the head off but started a bit late and the sun has gone and the bugs are out.

More investagation tomorrow...

Yep, my siv like brain now remembers, I can also thinking oh that a good idea I will fit it when it's not mostly -15, so I have ordered it and going to do it. Do I need to wire it up in any particular way in relation to the ignition / timing when it is on etc. I was thinking of putting it just before the injection unit?

I don't know the minor differences between a 300tdi engine and the 2.8, but I think on the 2.8 the place where the fuel lift pump is different to on a 300tdi right? As the place where I think it is usually on a 300tdi is just covered with the air filter housing bracket.

Anyhow, look for a head gasket, can't get hold of MDEngineering for it, so gonna have to look elsewhere, do you know who else one can be got from.

Lift pump mounting is the same on TGV as 300tdi, and a 300tdi lift pump will fit. The only problem is that the priming lever usually fouls the injector pipework, so cut it off - you won't need it.

I reckon the standard 300tdi lift pump can't keep up with the TGV at full throttle. I mounted an electric pump on the underside of the air filter bracket. That way you can keep the pipework unchanged, and mount the mechanical pump as a spare. Just wire it to the fuel stop solenoid, no special measures needed.

It's the vacuum pump mount that is different.

Don't know where else to source a head gasket, but you could try Prins Maasdijk in Holland, Old British Wheels in Canada, or any ford dealership that google finds in South America.

Or try contacting M&D vie their ebay shop?

Got hold of them.

After taking the head off, I found out that one of the glow plugs head had been burned off / or was crushed off by the piston. So with that in mind I am now taking the timing cover off to see if that is out a bit, just need the right socket for that tight big bolt...

How to get that thing off

Just jack up one front wheel and put it in a high gear.

You only need to remove the small inspection plate from the front of the timing chest, then set tdc with the slot in the flywheel through the drain plug hole, and check the pump timing with the end of a drill bit (9mm? Cant remember)

• 2 weeks later...
Lift pump mounting is the same on TGV as 300tdi, and a 300tdi lift pump will fit. The only problem is that the priming lever usually fouls the injector pipework, so cut it off - you won't need it.

I reckon the standard 300tdi lift pump can't keep up with the TGV at full throttle. I mounted an electric pump on the underside of the air filter bracket. That way you can keep the pipework unchanged, and mount the mechanical pump as a spare. Just wire it to the fuel stop solenoid, no special measures needed.

It's the vacuum pump mount that is different.

Don't know where else to source a head gasket, but you could try Prins Maasdijk in Holland, Old British Wheels in Canada, or any ford dealership that google finds in South America.

Or try contacting M&D vie their ebay shop?

Got this elec pump to fit, just wanted to double check the wiring.

I earth it, then run the live wire to the fuel stop, will that give it power to run then?

Or is it that the fuel stop just triggers a relay?

As for the mechanical lift pump, can I just blank off the inlet and outlet? Or should I loop a pipe between them?

Got this elec pump to fit, just wanted to double check the wiring.

I earth it, then run the live wire to the fuel stop, will that give it power to run then?

Or is it that the fuel stop just triggers a relay?

As for the mechanical lift pump, can I just blank off the inlet and outlet? Or should I loop a pipe between them?

That's how mine is wired. I intended to put in a relay, but wired it up to test and it just kind of stayed that way :blush:

I have a hose looped around the mechanical pump, just to try and keep it in the best possible condition in case I ever need it. No point having it pumping against a closed pipe.

Ok, I thought a loop on the pump would be better, so it just pumps through it's self a stays good, so thanks for confirming my suspicions.

I was kinda hoping to avoid the relay as I don't know where to put it, but this pump needs a 5 amp line, so I was thinking of putting a fuse on it anyway then it got me thinking...

project update.

it works...

Eneded up doing a whole list of bits:

New:

Steering arm Uj's

Steering box

Track rod ends

Steering Damper

Head Gasket

Injectors

Glow plugs

Air Filter

Added:

Electric Fuel Pump (great, primed instantly, cranked third go)

Turbo Boost Gauge

Swapped out rubber for some silicon hoses on various pipes

Left to do:

Rear left stub axel oil seal

Change axel oil

Change fuel filter

Change oil

Change oil filter

Need some tlc I think.