MS and AC control

csimoes

hi

as my first post just want to say this is a great forum :)

i'm writing from Portugal so be pacient with my english.

after some PM with Nigel i'm thinking on going MS on my RR 3.9 EFI Decat.

the only thing that is i'm not shure about is if the AC can work ok without de Lucas ECU.

from what i read in RAVE, it controles some parts of the AC. i can be wrong so i need your help.

overhere we have a lot of offroading on sand and the engine gets very hot and when the viscous fan can do the job the electric fan from the AC come on.

will this still work/be controlled by MS?

will the AC work only with MS?

maybie this are stupid douts by... :) a like my AC as we have 3 or 4 months of the year with 30º plus :)

cheers

Carlos

The AC gives the Lucas ECU a signal to say it is running to raise the revs via the idle control valve.

MS, with an idle control valve will sense a drop in engine revs at idle and compensate automatically, so no need for the input. The Lucas ECU does not give any signal to the AC system, it is pretty dumb in all honesty.

I believe the AC fans are switched by a thermoswitch on the thermostat housing, but it would be possible to let MS control them or just wire the relay to the AC clutch as suggested. TBH the standard setup is simple & works so I'd leave it alone.