TD5 in tank pump

Hi. I am fitting a TD5 tank into my 300TDi Defender 90.

Should the TD5 pump cut out when the fuel level drops below a certain point in the tank to protect the pump itself? If so does it take it's reading from the fuel level part of the pump or is it based on the fact it has no diesel to pump. Reason is I have bought a second hand pump and have very quickly tested it out of diesel - a 2 second power up but it ran.

Also how would I wire the TD5 gauge into my 300TDi gauge so with a flick of a switch I can switch readings from either tank?

Thanks Dave.

There's nothing on my 90TD5 that turns the pump off in response to a low-fuel-level: the pump's controlled (via a relay) by the ECU and will run happily under ECU control when out of the tank.

The TD5 ECU will shut the pump down after some seconds if the engine is not actually running, as a safety-feature: this behaviour can be bypassed by initiating the "prime cycle" [holding throttle-pedal down when turning on ignition but not actually starting the engine].

In your case you won't have an ECU to do the shutoff-if-engine-stalls thing, which would make me want to fit an impact-switch at the very least: an electric fuel-pump continuing to run after an accident, pumping diesel through split fuel-lines all over a hot turbo, is not my idea of a good-time.

Pressure is governed by restriction in the pipework.

The TD5 pump is CAPABLE of delivering a high pressure, and on a TD5 this is created with a pressure regulator in the return line. If you remove the restriction, the pressure simply drops accordingly.

I'd imagine it will quite happily feed a 300tdi without issue.

You need a ROW fuel pick up for your tdi as you already have a fuel pump on your engine.

I tried to use a TD5 pump just as a pick up using the low pressure side and leaving the pump unpowered but for some reason it wouldn't allow fuel back into the tank from the return. As a result it just blew surplus fuel out of the spill pipes. I didn't have time to experiment with putting power to the pump to see if that would open the return and so just used the ROW fuel pick up unit. This works perfectly and I've had not had a problem in the 13k miles I've done since.

HTH

Mo

Hi. Many thanks for the reply's however I apoligise for not being clear. The TD5 tank & pump will be used to supply the 300TDi tank with diesel. so the TD5 tank will only be an auxillary fuel tank and will not feed the engine at all (other than through the standard 300TDi setup).

I am unsure as to should I go for using the TD5 pump or opt for a ROW set up.

I have the TD5 pump but could pass that on. Where can I get hold of the ROW set up and what would I need. Part no's would be fantastic.

Thanks Dave.

The ROW setup doesnt have a pump at all, its just a pipe.

If its just for a transfer pump, just use the TD5 pump you have. You'll need to plumb the low pressure side up as a loop, then feed the "high pressure" side up to your original tank.

Dave,

Are you going to have two filling points?

(Or do you need to consider pumping both ways?)

Do the saddle tank on 300TDi and TD5 tank finish at the same height?

If so, could it be simpler to have balancing tubes between the tanks and one fill point and the fuel balances between tanks? (Wonder if it would make filling terminally slow if balancing tubes coud not handle the same fill rate...)

neil

Why muck about putting more holes in the tanks or pumping from one to the other. Use an electric changeover valve and you can use each tank separately.

Where are you planning on going Dave ? unless you are going to central Asia or the deepest Oz outback, a single tank and a Jerry can should suffice.

It's not hardcore expedition but practical simple and cheap :)

Mo