Defender/RR Lower Rear Shock Mounts

tuko

On the Hybrid I have a Range Rover rear axle, which at least once a year I have to replace rear shocks because I'm damaging the lower pins. At present I have 2" lowering top shock mounts utilizing original shocks. Examining the shock mounts on the axle I'm wondering if I can move the shock mounts up on the axle then replacing the upper shock mounts with the originals?

Of course the above idea in logic should work but it's got me thinking beyond that. I have a Designa Chassis and with that I have the holes through the frame for moving the rear shocks to behind the axle. Would it be possible to move the lower shock mounts to the rear of the axle placing them even higher so that they are out of harms way? Is there a particular angle that the shocks must follow? I have 2" lowered bump stops so I would have to check/measure them to make sure that the shocks don't bottom out internally.

I'm looking for an alternative location for the rear shocks (out of harms way), preferably an idea/plan that can be made in my garage.

Suggestions anyone?

Todd.

I would suggest your dampers are bottoming out all ready if you run +2" dampers you should lift your mounts by 1" thus giving you 1" of extra travel down and the lifted mount stops it bottoming out. As to position ideal they want to be on top of the axle but you have a spring there, you can put the damper inside the spring but this may fowl on full travel by moving the dampers behind the axle you are reducing the effectiveness.

Mike

Mike,

I'm using regular Defender shocks with -2" upper shock mounts which compensate for the 2" lift. As for moving the shocks to the rear of the axle, how does that reduce effectiveness? Early RR had one shock front and the other at the rear. If the 2 shocks are at the rear, wouldn't they be moving in the same arch as the axle?

Todd.

In which case you are almost definitely bottoming out your dampers as I doubt the +2" bumpstop is enough at full articulation. As for rear mount dampers they only move with the arc on down travel as they move up they are being pulled off the axle thus less effective and more likely to damage.

Mike

Sorry Mike but I'm not following you with "bottoming out" my shocks, to this point I've not had any issues with this.

I'm looking for suggestions with moving the rear axle lower shock mounts cause I'm damaging the shocks all the time from the terrain that I drive. The lower pins of the shocks are damaged (bent) from nearly every outing so I want to find a solution, weather moving the shock mount up higher or to the rear of the axle. Which is best or tired and tested method that works?

Todd.

How many times do I have to say that I'm damaging the bottom pins on the shocks from the terrain that I drive ??? There are many rocks/boulders on our trails therefore the damaged pins. Simple as that, it's not the suspension setup.

Todd.

Sorry now I understand can you just weld a bar from the mounts front edge to the axle tube to act as a slider.

Mike

Now that's an idea Mike but I was hoping that it might be possible to relocate the lower mount higher? If it's even been done before?

Todd.

• 4 months later...

Last day off and finally got a few more hours in the garage to get something done on the rear axle.

This is what I'm aiming for, raising the lower shock mount on the rear axle like this:

post-194-0-09043800-1389018890_thumb.jpg

Protective outer plate that'll also add strength, the origin lower shock mount is staying as a skid plate for the shocks lower pin.

post-194-0-03489900-1389018976_thumb.jpg

At the end of the day I'll gain approx 50mm clearance below the shock plus the lower shock pin will be protected from further damage.

Todd.

I missed this the first time around, on my Defender I ran with double shocks, one at the front and one at the back of the axle. I bought a couple of replacement standard mounts (they are handed) and fitted them with the RHS one on the left and the LHS on the right. They weld to the axle and needed a bit of trimming so that they would also weld to the original mount.

No reason at all why you shouldn't mount them behind the axle, I never had a problem with mine and, as you said, the early RRC had one there anyway. You just need to get the angles right and the top mount holes drilled in the correct place.