Track rod ends

duncmc

I have recently replaced my track rods ends on my Classic, with what I thought where Lemforder ones. Problem is I bought them a while ago, and can't remember where I got them from. Now they all have a little play in them after a few thousand miles. The first I did 8000 miles ago, and the last last weekend.

I want to buy some more in ready to change them again, but obviously want to buy some good ones. I prefer the ones with a split pin, because I find them easier to remove for other maintenance when needed than a nyloc.

Please can the kind people of LR4x4.com recommend some good makes to buy, and from where?

Thanks.

I run the ones Gywn supplies with the SUMO bars. They are nyloc ones, not sure if they have holes for split pins. (Really can't see an advantage of a spit pin over the nyloc??)

Whenever I have used ones with nyloc nuts, when undoing the nut, about half way down I have found the ball joint to spin, and then the nuts doesn't go any further. This is usually because the threaded portion rusts a bit. Even if the track rod end wasn't scrap at that time, it is by the time I have managed to get the nut off. Even it I do get the nut off, it happens trying to get the new nyloc on.

Lemforder stuff usually spot on. They make the factory parts for Landrover and many other companies including the VAG group.

If the balljoint "pops" and starts to spin when your removing it, usually you can just put a jack under it and force the balljoint into the taper and it will hold enough to undo it.

Lemforder stuff usually spot on. They make the factory parts for Landrover and many other companies including the VAG group.

If the balljoint "pops" and starts to spin when your removing it, usually you can just put a jack under it and force the balljoint into the taper and it will hold enough to undo it.

That's a good idea/tip. I will bear that in mind for the future.

Thanks.

They have stopped manufacturing these joints now I believe gwyn lewis has bought has many has he could find. I buy from gwyn my current set have lasted 5 years still going strong I run 35 extremes, hydro assist v8 lockers and offroad / lane a good few timesaweek.

An extra thing I do isbin the nylon nut and buy lr nut that goes on the long bolt through the chassis that holds the bracket for the power steering// panard rod. its amuch deeper nut so more thread covered / protected etc

worth having a look if the thread the nyloc goes on has a hex opening in the end to take an allen key, then you can use a ring spanner over it. I did one on Tues which had such a nifty feature. It was on the drag link? ball joint (other end from steering drop arm)

An extra thing I do isbin the nylon nut and buy lr nut that goes on the long bolt through the chassis that holds the bracket for the power steering// panard rod. its amuch deeper nut so more thread covered / protected etc

Just a thought but double nuts, that way one acts as a lock nut too??

Or am I being random on a Sunday morning again :ph34r: