Ideas for ZF Kickdown on 4.6 GEMS Throttle?

Fatboy

Gents,

I've spent a lot of time away from home this year, thus my 110 rebuild with 4.6 GEMS V8 & ZF Auto is really (and I mean r e a l l y) slowly progressing.

One hiccup I see approaching is how to hookup the kickdown for the ZF autobox (Ex LSE) because the GEMS linkage pulls from left to right (The LSE donor pulled from right to left).

The kickdown cable is quite short - obviously tailored to be mounted on the LH rocker cover and needs to be pulled as the throttle is linkage is pulled, there is not enough length on the current cable to mount it on top of the plenum which is roughly where it would need to be...I'd love to be able to attach a photo to explain this more easy but thats not possible at the moment.

I'm sure anybody who has done this, will understand what I'm trying to explain. - So, I'm looking for photos or inspiration to connect my kickdown cable to my GEMS throttle linkage...

Many thanks for any input!

If it were me, I'd pop in to my local bike shop & buy a length of Bicycle brake cable - then extend the cable to use the proper throttle linkage.

The connection between the cable inners can be as simple as an electrical connector block.

I accidentally cut my kickdown cable with a disk-cutter (as you do) and re-joined it as described. Seemed to work OK.

Si

I just bent a [ shape out of steel bar (15 x 3mm), drilled a hole in either end and used the adjustable ends from bike cables to secure the outers to the bar. Drill a hole in the middle of the bar to mount it neatly and join the inners with a choc-block.

Si

An alternative cable, eg 300tdi is longer, but may need fittings to connect to throttle linkage. Ian ashcroft

That, is obviously a more 'proper' solution - but where's the fun in that when you can use Gaffer Tape, cable ties and Blu-Tac to 'Engineer' a solution? ;)

Si

I'm not aware of a factory built vehicle with a GEMS intake and ZF box with a kick down cable. As far as I'm aware, the P38 gearbox is computer controlled.

Have you got a model in kind that I've maybe overlooked?

No sorry, I was aware there was no standard set up, I'm sure you wouldn't be asking if there was.

I meant looking through parts books at other zf kickdown links may provide some inspiration.