Redline synthetic lubricants.

Nigelw

Does anyone here have experience of Redline synthetic lubricants?

Good or bad, it just helps me to find people who have actually used it and can share their honest experiences.

It seems to be only a little more expensive than mineral oils but wonder if it would balance out long term with extended service intervals? Say 8,000Kms as opposed to 5,000Kms engine and say 30,000kms over 20,000 for axles, gearbox and transfer box.

Or just stick with mineral oils and be done with it?

I'm using redline in my transfer box because of my Roverdrive overdrive... I can't use EP90 because some of the parts in the O/Drive don't like it apparently.

I changed the first lot at 12k miles and it came out looking a lot like it went in !!

I'm running the current lot for 24k before changing and will review again. I have no way to determine what impact it is having inside the transfer box but it's no noisier and no noticeble difference when driving.

I also ran redline in the R380 for 12k and changed it for MTF94 for the next 12k... Redline once again came out looking a lot like it went in. No driving difference between MTF94 and Redline that I can determine.

Neil

Been using Redline in land rovers for over 10years . I have also used it in gearboxes in other makes after fitting new gearboxes , out in Australia , due extreme conditions . The extended lubrication when contaminated by water and then allowing to sit and decanting of water was told to me by a tech rep of Redline in Australia. They also were doing a trial in power divider diff on a road train running Perth to Darwin and back, 8000kms . The mineral oil would do one trip , last I heard was 6 trips with Redline with no deterioration !

Re using in diesel engine , depends a bit on how dirty engine and grade of fuel . It is certainly advantage re turbo, but "thickening" over time needs to be monitored if extending oil change interval. In transmission train I have run at three times interval with no problems , thats in Lt85 , and salisbury and rover diffs with Maxidrive locks behind Rover V8 . HTSH

Wouldnt bother using it in an engine, unless its a new generation sort of thing.............

I have used Redline MTL in several gearboxes and axles, and it does seem to make the shift smoother, and when you put your hand on the casing, cooler. Not exactly scientific I know..................

But again, I wouldnt bother if the gearbox has problems and is on its way out. It is NOT a cure, but a preventative.

Also used their Shockproof gear oil in the diff of a Triumph Herald I built a few years ago, using a Vauxhall Omega 3 litre V6. The diffs are known to be weak, (lack of lubricant and maintainence, poor build quality IMO) and it definately made it quieter and cooler AND it never broke.

I will be using it in me Landie axles and gearboxes..................once I can stop the leaks.

Used to be Delta Oils that imported it here. Dont know if they still exist but their technical and sales were always helpful

Wouldnt bother using it in an engine, unless its a new generation sort of thing.............

I have used Redline MTL in several gearboxes and axles, and it does seem to make the shift smoother, and when you put your hand on the casing, cooler. Not exactly scientific I know..................

But again, I wouldnt bother if the gearbox has problems and is on its way out. It is NOT a cure, but a preventative.

Also used their Shockproof gear oil in the diff of a Triumph Herald I built a few years ago, using a Vauxhall Omega 3 litre V6. The diffs are known to be weak, (lack of lubricant and maintainence, poor build quality IMO) and it definately made it quieter and cooler AND it never broke.

I will be using it in me Landie axles and gearboxes..................once I can stop the leaks.

Used to be Delta Oils that imported it here. Dont know if they still exist but their technical and sales were always helpful

They found there was a 70C drop in diff temp when climbing using Redline in comparison to mineral from datalog !