Seized H/brake cable

Nigelw

In my experiance if the cable has no cracks, splits or zero of the outer black protection missing you can free it up. The best way of doing this is by removing it. This is what I do.........take the cable and take a small plastic bag, usualy the size that will take a sandwich......hold the bag up withe the original opening fscing up, cut one of the corners off, just big enough for the cable to fit through, fit the bag over the cable far enough that you reach the nice smooth outer casing and use one of your missuses elastic hair bands and wind it over the bag to make a perfect seal, now you have a nice reservoir around the cable and I start off with diesel fuel, put a bit in the bag hang the cable up and let gravity do its work, once the diesel comes out at the bottom remove the bag,or I just flip it down to expose the outer and inner cable, then work the cable untill nice and free on the full stroke, I then take sonme new engine oil put some in the bag hang it up and let it run through.

Then if you are replacing the cable for what ever reason,PLEASE LUBE IT BEFORE FITTING, this is someting 99,9% of people dont do, I dont know why, and yes most of the guys here are going to say cables have been improved over the years, I dont care, LUBE the new cable it will last many years.

I have a special cable luber and use a aerosol based lube and when I service vehicles, motorbikes, boats I always lube the cables, for me its just and extra half hour or so off work but it does wonders to the machine I just worked on.

Hope this makes sence, if not let me know, I will put picturs up.

Oh and not BritPart bashing here Nigel but the BritPart Defender hand brake cables (I know you are on about a Disco) have been pretty poor, a couple of months use and then snap. So if you do buy BritPart have a very good look at the end attachments.

I know exactly what you are talking about there CW!!! My friendly Defender bender has had 4 hand brake cables all passed back under their warranty and they honored him with the purchase of a genuine parts one from the main dealers in town, he bought it faxed them a copy of the factuur(invoice to you and me) and they refunded him both the genuine one and the BP one, seems it does pay to keep complaining.

Decided to tackle it when I fit the new rotors and pads in a few weeks time after I have filled my fetish with a bit of welding.

Like the innovation of the placcy bag, will do the GT85 first and if no joy the bag jobby, worst case will be a genuine parts or maybe allmakes/bearmach one.

Thanks for the help guys.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to bring this back up but having a part number issue, my parts catalog says NTC9400 for my 92 MY but paddocks and all other suppliers state NTC6125 based on VIN No.

Anyone actually changed one on a 92MY Discovery that can tell me the part No. they used, already having discussions with LR parts about my request for "antique" parts and last thing I want to do is fall out with them again over getting the wrong one in and having to change it.