Front diff gone pop Td5 90

so yesterday saturday i tryed to pull out at a junction and oviosly my truck didnt like that idear at all, small bang then i was going nowhere fast tryed to put it into difflock but made no difference. pushed it of the road noticed that the front prop was going round if i left it in gear. tryed difflock again thinking that something was wrong in the front axel so dif lock should at least make it move no luck. came back a few hours later after going where i was intending to be and after another try the familar clunck of the lock engaging and was back moving again!! pulled the front prop of and drove home slowly. Then today pulled the front axle apart to find the diff had droped its innards. I had done a little bit of offroading at the start of the day but nothing i hadent done 100 times before.

Could i have unknowingly left it in difflock and wined up broken the diff, drove thirty miles odd? there seams to be a fair amount of cv grease in the with the diff oil it seams could this have cause it to go? or is it just general off road use has caught up and it just given up? id like to fit locking diff now the front has gone it seams like a good time can i/ should i keep the half shaft and cv so i don't have to spend another 300 on new bits and upgrade later on, or better to have new parts wearing on new parts?

anyway some pics for your amusement.

Have you got a locking diff in the rear already? If not, then fitting one to the front alone will not serve you much use on its own. You be looking at a £50 differ, versus hundreds and hundreds of pounds for a pair of diff lockers and the onboard air to drive it, to get the full benefit of the system.

My Advice is to NOT fit a locker to the front

Your FIRST locker should go in the rear, this does more work and will be superior to having the locker in the front and a open diff in the rear

so, if you buy your 1st locker (go ashlocker) then swap open rear diff to front and pop new locker in rear

2 pin diffs break very very easily ! sometimes just wear, sometimes abuse and sometimes it can be it seems for unknown / no good reason !

Nige

sorry didn't attach the file, im pretty much there now. going to put a locker in the rear relatively soon have moved rear diff to the front been lent a diff to put in the back so getting there :)

one question now front axle is striped should i replace the oil seal so the cv joint grease doesn't go into the diff i never had the problem before cant see why the diff breaking would break the seal?

post-13761-0-33788800-1383028978_thumb.jpg

post-13761-0-35687400-1383029000_thumb.jpg