megasquirt problems in Polish competition

alanius

We are competing in an offroad challange in Polland, yesterday the car went perfect: as a dream.Today he suddenly runs on 7cilinders. We checked the spark plugs and 1 was not ok. So for the safety we changed them all.All went ok for 10mins and the same problems again.We started to search further and found that there was no spark at all at that spark plug.We tried with another lead and stil no spark.Then we switched the connectors on the coil packs. Then we have a spark and both coil packs work as they should.When I change it bback again no spark.It is the coil pack where you have the green-brown signal wire.Do you know what the problem is?

Engine is a 3.9 with thor mannifold.Could you pleaze let me know somethingRegarfs

Can you give more info - is this MS'n'EDIS, direct coil drive...? Did you build the ECU or did you buy it from someone?

Did you switch the spark plug connectors or the low-voltage connectors?

Assuming MS'n'EDIS:

The coils fire a pair of cylinders per coil (4 wires, 8 cylinders) so it's quite hard for only ONE cylinder to go down, if one coil failed then TWO cylinders would fail.

Hi

Yes MS and edis.

Bought the full kit from nigel, he build the ecu.

I switched the low voltage connectors.

And if you heard rhe engine there was only 1cilinder that didn't work, you also could see that on the spark plug.

Jez they were all fine. The plug that didn't work we tried with a temporary fix to see if it would work but still no spark.

And suddenly it all worked back again.

So i dont touch it anymore. But if it happens again I know what to try.

As I tried almost everything I know.

If you have rewired it to swap coils then you will either see the fault reappear on the same coil (dead coil) or the same cylinder/plug (problem with that cyl / plug / injector).

Do you carry a spare coil pack, or can you find one? Plenty of small 4-cylinder euroboxes with compatible coil packs in the world.

Changed the coil pack and still the same.

After some further searching I found that plug 3 and 2 didn't get any spark.

So hopzfully it is the wire with the green stripe that causes the problem.

How can I check if the EDIS8 module isnt broken?

And from what car is this, so I can track a spare one.

Or numbers so we can order one.

Thanks!

EDIS8 are pretty rare in the EU unfortunately, if you want a spare, get Nige to send you one. They are VERY reliable though, be incredibly surprised if it had failed.

3&2 as you say are a pair on the coil pack, so sounds like you have a problem with wiring as you suggest, hopefully an easy fix, only goes from EDIS to coil pack.

V8 Ford's..... not many in EU at all, Nige gets his from the states IIRC.

EDIS will fire the plugs without the MS ECU even connected, so seems to be that end, are the plug connections all OK?

I have had two faulty coil packs which threw me for a bit once...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so the problem is solved.
Received another edis module, plugged it in and the spark was back on the plugs that didn't had one.

Just need to change the plugs, drove almost 4 day's as a V6...

the old EDIS smelled to burned elektronics, 99% of the time that isn't good ;-)

Edis module is mounted together with the ECU in a waterproof box te keep all the dust and dirt away.
module is bolted with the 2 holes that are in the module.

The box is mounted on the rear bulkhead and I never went that deep in the water.