Ms1 or 2

Rangie46

Gents putting a p38 4.0 in my 90 but don't know enough about megasquirt to decide which way to go, ms1 or 2, at the end of the day it has to be waterproof I know ms2 can direct fire the coils, but have read there can pe probs with this, and ms 1 uses edis which I can see most of you here run, please convince me which way I should go.

A VERY Good question - to which there is honestly not a "Correct answer"....

But to quote from you

but don't know enough about megasquirt

Is enough of an admission for me to advise as follows :

MS1 is what I have chosen to use within the business www.megasquirt-v8.co,uk

I started knowing nothing and learnt and learnt and learnt...and still learn often daily

However I have learnt

MS1

Simple of all to understand and get to grips with

Robust

Reliable

More than good enough for the venerable Rover V8

EDIS 8 = Proven and bullet proof

Firmware (the ECUs operating systems) are mainly intechangable

Kits I do are proven, and work and stay working !

Known route to build = help and undertanding of what you MIGHT have done wrong

You don't NEED MS2 for a V8

Kits I do give you everything vs you having like I did yonks ago learn and make stuff

MS1 easy to get involved with so self tunning etc is not a vertical slope !

Masses of help here and around with this system

MS1 cheaper :D

MS2

More advanced yes - but its a 50s Buick engine not a VVT - there are some seriously exotic stuff out there on MS1 - inc my 5.2 !

MS2 = FAR MORE COMPLEX far trickier to cut yer teeth on

You can upgarde your MS1 ECU to an MS2 via the chipset if you wnat NOT ONE of my customers has !

MS2 has so many options and possiblities for firmware and set ups that MSQs (Programme files) are NOT interchangable

Costs more

Has better definaition on fuelling, can run semi sequential, and other whizzy things, I seriously doubt you would notice and

I will argue a simple to learn / tune / and well set up Ms1 will often outperform a MS2 that is not as well set up due to complexity ...

I steer away from MS2 and MS3, as for a Rover V8 IMVHO is overkill, extar complexity and not something to "Learn" On..I get LOADS of calls

from peeps having probs with MS2, when I ask "Which firmware version is it running and DCD or EDIS and where the MSQ from ? I get normally

a blank answer bacjk..

So, go MS1, easy proven relaible and cheaper and fun !!

Nige

#

My only advice would be:

Go MS1, what started out as a vertical wall of WODDAFOCK is now a fairly flat wall of OH YES I UNDERSTAND THIS QUITE NICELY NOW ACTUALLY and it works REALLY REALLY well on my RV8 in my Disco and is an offroad dream vs what was an offroad nightmare.

Buy everything from Nige, he's bonkers raving mental which will take you some time to come to terms with but is a genuinely top guy and has made a cracking business which in turn provides a cracking product to us, the customer.

When my full kit arrived this time last year, OMG Christmas came early that year :D

Buy everything from Nige, he's bonkers raving mental which will take you some time to come to terms with but is a genuinely top guy and has made a cracking business which in turn provides a cracking product to us, the customer.

Nige, if you don't put that in your "testimonials" section I'll make Dave put it in there when you're not looking! :hysterical:

I confirm, I am french , I don't speak english very well and my engine run with a MS1

I have take the Nige's kit for my engine, very good and complet kit, I wait to do my schnorckel to try to tuning (i want more torque), maybe last month (i am not sure for the last sentence, next month will be better ??, :hysterical: )

for the moment i read , read, and read again to try to understand your language technique ........not easy , i prefer eat frog .......more easy

and again, I don't understand the last topic ...........

my english teacher had right , you are the most bad student of the school ............

"oh gawd....." ???????????

Oh gawd = Cornered like a trapped rat..."Dave" is my website designer and mate of Mr Fridges, and, if I don't do it dave will, and then prob put special code on it so I can't alter it

Better I give in and just do it

:rofl:

Nige

Mr noisy some nice pics there, looking forward to getting cracking on this, must admit the install and wiring doesn't scare me, but the programming does so plenty of reading ahead me thinks, starting stripping the 4.0 and came across a couple of missing core plugs and a well blown head gasket on the drivers bank but no sights of steam cleaning on the pistons, next job to do will be to get the block preasure tested, I'll start a build thread in the members vehicle area with some pics soon, once again guys thanks for your advice you all seam like right mad bunch I think I'm going to enjoy it here.

Mr noisy some nice pics there, looking forward to getting cracking on this, must admit the install and wiring doesn't scare me, but the programming does so plenty of reading ahead me thinks, starting stripping the 4.0 and came across a couple of missing core plugs and a well blown head gasket on the drivers bank but no sights of steam cleaning on the pistons, next job to do will be to get the block preasure tested, I'll start a build thread in the members vehicle area with some pics soon, once again guys thanks for your advice you all seam like right mad bunch I think I'm going to enjoy it here.

Pleased to hear it :)

My advice from the outset would be use tuner studio instead of MT and MLV, I just found it much easier to get my head around doing everything within one program.

Plus TS have just released auto warmup enrichment tuning in their latest beta which I have been playing with plus gps support for real time figures, all good fun :D