Confirm my thermostat theory...

I think the rad will make a big difference. My transit rad didn't look that bad, and wasn't leaking or had missing/damaged fins, but a new one bought the temperatures down when towing :)

I'm running odd stuff I suppose, but the challenge truck and the 88" S1 both run fergy tractor style 'capillary tube' gauges, with green and red bands instead of numbers. I was looking for good repeatability from a gauge, that works independent of everything else. Being white make them easier to read! So maybe not what folks would want for the 'look', but if 'operation' is your need, they are good :)

Hmm this brings up the debate as to the accuracy of the standard parts which has been stated many times before is that the standard LR gauge is quite sensitive and seems to swing the dial a lot for a minor change in temperature....

Hmm this brings up the debate as to the accuracy of the standard parts which has been stated many times before is that the standard LR gauge is quite sensitive and seems to swing the dial a lot for a minor change in temperature....

Are you sure that's the right way around Mav? I thought the LR gauge wasn't linear and the normal running temperature position on the gauge actually covered quite a temp range if you see what I mean. It's like that because 'normal' people get scared if the needle moves from the middle position.

Anyone got the size of the sender threads on a 200tdi thermostat housing? Ive got the madman one but thats 8.2 in diameter...

Found it myself. The sender thread is 5/8" = 16mm

And my new sender is 8.2 mm so I need an adapter I guess.

A Defender sender is 5/8unf

A Discovery sender is M16x1mm pitch... which is a pig of a size and I just got this confirmed from Dave at Steve Parker... and I just sent a email to my fittings man to see how much a M16x1 to 1/8npt adapter will cost me... as I've got a K-type I want to stick in the hole to see what my engine temp is actually doing...

similar to the set up for my Td5 water temp gauge,

Defender temp sender PRC8593 won't fit a Discovery 200tdi, the threads are different, try PRC2505 or PRC6663 as used in the TD engines & should run your gauge without any trouble

• 1 month later...

isbjorn, did you sort your problem?

Tonight I happen to solve my strange guage readings, which have plagued me since I got the vehicle... Turned out it was either the wrong or broken sender as well as I dodgy thermostat... I've never quite been around the houses so many times to try solve this problem, but finally worked it out after substituting verious filler plugs with a K-type thermocouple so I could get actual temp values for certain points on the guage, thermostate was opening too early and then not manageing the heat properly, even though during source pan testing, it happend to do exactly the same as a new one I'd bought... thats what really threw me... anyways after installing a new sender and tonight I changed the thermostate again, I'm starting to see the same behaviour I get from my Genuine 200tdi... happy chappy at last! :i-m_so_happy:

Well. I plugged in a VDO meter, and installed a new intercooler. Also flushed the engine. The water was quite sluggish. I think my metal expansion tank gives away a lot of residues and that pollutes the cooler... Anyway. Now she stays around 70-80 deg and the heater is all of a sudden super warm :)

So all good all fine. The trick with making your own adapter worked like a charm. Thanks for all the advice.