HD Drag link and Track Rod

I run my 90 with the solid bars and a De Carbon gas steering damper, works fine.

I am the first to admit I have never driven my vehicle without any form of steering damper so I can't comment on its performance without it.

When I used to manufacture my original 'Llama Bars' from solid hex I had this question asked of me very often.....

... my answer was always 'Yes, refit the stabilizer'.

Some people reckoned that you could do without and the only link was something to do with the wobble in the original flimsy tracking rod was eliminated with the stronger bars removing the need for the damper. Whilst I can see that this has some mileage in it it does not offer any damping when you hit an obstacle or something snatches at the roadwheel if you have no damper fitted.

Hence my choice would be to refit the steering stabilizer - or better still buy one of my new Rough Country ones I am importing from the Staes :D:blink:

BTW my original bars are now being produced again - Mill Services purchased the lathe and the specs from me and has now got them in production, Give Richard a call on 01948.120647

David

No web link 'cause my host has buggered up at moment!

but still a link to my online shop....

o0o0o pwetty hex shape ones, i need to order HD steering bars. wots stronger then Dave yours or sumos?

Mine aren't mine any more - sold them to Richard at Mill Services................

I never compared them to any other so I can't really comment on which is stronger. The hex bar has some distinct advantages though:

You can use a spanner to adhust your tracking instead of a pair of stilsons.

You can hold them with a spanner to do the locknut up tight.

Should you bend one - it has been done, albeit only a little bend - you can easily straighten them by pressing them one flat at a time on a press......

David

LLAMA 4x4

When I used to manufacture my original 'Llama Bars' from solid hex I had this question asked of me very often.....

... my answer was always 'Yes, refit the stabilizer'.

Some people reckoned that you could do without and the only link was something to do with the wobble in the original flimsy tracking rod was eliminated with the stronger bars removing the need for the damper. Whilst I can see that this has some mileage in it it does not offer any damping when you hit an obstacle or something snatches at the roadwheel if you have no damper fitted.

Hence my choice would be to refit the steering stabilizer - or better still buy one of my new Rough Country ones I am importing from the Staes :D:blink:

BTW my original bars are now being produced again - Mill Services purchased the lathe and the specs from me and has now got them in production, Give Richard a call on 01948.120647

David

No web link 'cause my host has buggered up at moment!

but still a link to my online shop....

Richard told me a while back he had got the kit to make them, but did not say it was from you Dave.

But back to the matter at hand. I did not have a stearing damper fitted to the 110 before the D bars and don`t have one now I have them fitted. Another thing to bear in mind is when you have the HD bars fitted something has to give some times and I have heard of TREs snaping instead of the bars bending. I have had no problems with either yet :D .

Paul

"you dont need a steering damper, they just tend to drive better if you've got one"

i would disagry with that, i dont like steering dampers on my Land Rovers, as thay take the feel out of the steering, but then i dont like PAS eather for the same resion so dont have PAS! as a land rover is not big enough to warant it.

"you dont need a steering damper, they just tend to drive better if you've got one"

i would disagry with that, i dont like steering dampers on my Land Rovers, as thay take the feel out of the steering, but then i dont like PAS eather for the same resion so dont have PAS! as a land rover is not big enough to warant it.

our ford KA has power steering, and that is certainly not big enough to warrant it.....

just because its smaller than an artic, it doesn't mean you don't need power steering, PAS makes sense, and in most cases, so do steering dampers...

the days of rod operated drum brakes, flathead V8's, starter handles and manual steering boxes all had their time, but i certainly wouldn't want to do without PAS or for that matter, a steering damper on my Disco when it is either fully laden or dragging 3 tones behind it, both of which it does regularly.....